Exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust

What exhaust system do you guys prefer. I will be buying one soon.

I have the Supersprint DTM and like the sound and quality. Not too loud or brassy like a ricer. The only downside is that the DTM kickup throws up black soot onto the whole rear of the car. It might not be so bad, but I have a white car. Still I give it a 4 out of 5
    Last edited by wookie1976; 03-04-2003, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Same here, it's not the DTM tips that make the car black. I have straight tips and my car is black also due to no cat and JC chip running rich, among other things making it run rich

Comment

I have the Eisenmann. Full stainless construction, fit perfectly, just the right amount of noise. Not too loud, not too quiet.

I was going to go with the Supersprint, but for the price I thought it should be stainless. It isn't.

Comment

I also have the SS one, with the center resonator.

But I just ordered the bigger 2x50mm SS in stainless steel, so I'm getting rid of the resonator and getting straight pipes and a shinny new muffler!

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

supersprint is junk

I have the SS euro center and it is a POS.

NOt stainless like the muffler. Chrome tipos are a joke when polished stainless looks so much better.

I just got a HIOP muffler from Bimmerworld which is quiet like stock w/ a bettr tone and beautiful stainless straight tips that are 3" in diameter. All stainless construction and powder coated black too!

Slightly less than Eisenmann, slightly more than SS but the quality is equivilent to BOrla.

I''l post some pics in a couple of days when it is installed.

Eric

Comment

i like the borla titanium can. but its very pricey. its also very loud, but in a good way. the borla SS exhaust sounds great, ive herd a few of them. the Super Sprint is just a bit to stock sounding
              "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
              onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

If you want perfect balance then get the borla. If you want sound get a SS with dtm tips. DTM tips are louder, probably because the sound direction has been projected up.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I really like the style of the DTM tips, but I dont think i need a new muffler. I have no engine work done and I think the stock exhaust is loud enough. Do you guys think its worth it to just put DTM style tips on the stock exhaust?
                  "A wolf in wolves clothing"
                  Tiff Needell

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealM3
                    I really like the style of the DTM tips, but I dont think i need a new muffler. I have no engine work done and I think the stock exhaust is loud enough. Do you guys think its worth it to just put DTM style tips on the stock exhaust?

WHERE IS MY DAMN RICE smiley???

Comment

I chose Supersprint (straight tips) because it outperforms every other exhaust in dyno comparisons.
                      It's barely louder than the stock exhaust, just a deeper tone.

If my car were a gutted track/race car, I'd just get the lightest thing (flowmaster, magnaflow).
                      -Han

Comment

Supersprint

Hey lets get real on this subject of muffler technology and "manufacturers claims" for increased horsepower.

The stock muffler is a straight thru twin pipe design. There is nothing that will out flow this unless it is of larger pipes construction.So whatever claims the manufacturers make is basically horse crap and all the difference is weight and sound.:rolleyes:

Most guys go for a different muffler because of weight considerations. Borla for instance is around 7-5 lbs. lighter than stock at 23 lbs. This is good for reducing mass outside the wheel base and should improve handling however slightly that may be.

It only becomes a question of sound my friends.

Eric

Comment

I agree Eric. There is no substatnal power increase from a ANY after market muffler when compared to the stock unit. I guess the BMW engineers got it right the 1st time around.

ps I have been very happy with my Borla since I got it over 6 years ago.

Comment

Re: Supersprint

Originally posted by Track man's M3
                            Hey lets get real on this subject of muffler technology and "manufacturers claims" for increased horsepower.

The stock muffler is a straight thru twin pipe design. There is nothing that will out flow this unless it is of larger pipes construction.So whatever claims the manufacturers make is basically horse crap and all the difference is weight and sound.:rolleyes: ...
                            I know better than to trust manufacturers claims.
                            This was a test done by Grass Roots Motorsports.
                            -Han

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
                              I also have the SS one, with the center resonator.

But I just ordered the bigger 2x50mm SS in stainless steel, so I'm getting rid of the resonator and getting straight pipes and a shinny new muffler!
                              Hmmmmmm..... Let me think... :idea: How about my Sport Evo Headers for your Rallye Headers and Group N Engine mounts

BTW, we should get both headers jet coated while they're out.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still uncertain if I want to switch out my Borla for the SupserSprint muffler. I definitely agree that SS muffler should be all SS for the price. I don't understand, they make the E36 and E46 exhuast out of SS, but how come we don't get one! :grr:

I think my Borla is a tad bit loud and the SS is a tad too soft. Eric, can you get a clip of the HIOP system?

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                              97 Porsche Carrera S
                              13 Audi S6
                              SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                              GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Working...
                              X