X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slowguy
    replied
    Dave,

Thanks for the pics. The hose leading from the rear of the compressor has a lot more clearance than mine does. I'll have to work on that. Is it the standard hose for that application?

Leave a comment:

• Dave @nz
    replied
    Hi guys,
    The hoses are the same from one style compressor & bracket to the other, interesting to see John's hose lay out on mine I doubt it could go this way would not have enough angle on the hose fittings. I don't know if it is right or wrong just seemed to work like this.
    The french fry fits nicely on the frame rail and blends in quite difficult to see and would work well for stopping chafing.
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• 02fanatic
    replied
    I used the french fry style rubber piece over the frame rail to prortect the A/C hose from rubbing/cutting...you know the same rubber piece that sits under the EVO intake box on the left side frame rail.....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Toast
    replied
    Are there different hose required for this compressor than the ones used with the original style compressor?

Leave a comment:

• Dave @nz
    replied
    Hi,
    I found the piping a few years back at a car accessory shop that sold rubber seals for around doors and windows used when restoring old cars, same as the original grey but being black it blended in better and was on a roll and could buy length as required.

Getting the clearances correct for the compressor all hinges around correct length belt then adjust to tension and set up clearances.
    These two photos are taken when I was removing the engine for over haul, the tension has been released from the a/c belt you should be able to get the idea and see how the hoses are positioned. When you are ready let me know if you require some showing clearance with the belt tensioned up.
    Dave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	844577

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3536.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	844578

Leave a comment:

• slowguy
    replied
    Dave,

Thanks for the response. I had looked at that post but wasn't sure what I was seeing. This clarifies it -- and if I had read the post more closely, I would have seen that the new compressor and the new bracket have to be used together.

The other M3 that I'm looking at must have the old style compressor, which accounts for the different orientation of the hose coming out of the rear of the compressor. The compressor fittings are clearly different than those on the new style compressor, and don't pose the same issue of hoses lying along the frame rail. I'll try to get a replacement hose laid in so that it isn't quite so tight on the frame rail, and use insulating material to protect it.

I think that what you're calling "piping" I'm calling clips. They do seem to be positioned to prevent hoses and wires from chaffing on the frame rail. Where did you find the piping that you used?

Leave a comment:

• Dave @nz
    replied
    Hi,

1, The compressor bracket is correct one for the all alloy style compressor as see in this link .... http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...aporator/page4

2,The a/c belt should be p/n 64521466043, 13x810mm a longer belt will put the compressor and hoses closer to the frame rail and this can only be off set when the hoses are fitted up to the compressor by adjusting the angle they point away from the compressor prior to tightening them up.

Best practice would be install correct length belt and adjust belt then if the hoses need replacing or are not at the correct angle fix that next, the belt you have could be used as a spare.

3, Find some good photos of the hose lay out at the compressor set yours up the same, with the new correct length belt clearance around each hose and exhaust/frame rail to set up takes time. May be worth while looking at the r/h engine mount to see if it has sagged while you are there. "plastic clips"= piping?

On mine I replaced the plastic piping which goes on top of the frame rail to stop chafing, oem is grey I found some black piping which better matches the diamantschwarz.
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• slowguy
    started a topic A/c issues -- brackets, belts and cut hoses

A/c issues -- brackets, belts and cut hoses

So hereís an account of my air conditioning woes and a few questions.

A prior owner had removed the air conditioning from my car. I had the local dealer reinstall the system two years ago, both to make the car legal for the SCCAís STX autocross class and because I had moved to New Mexico. I didnít use the air that much, but it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when the a/c compressor belt departed for parts unknown. I had the dealer install a new belt, but it only lasted a couple of days until it too went AWOL.

When the second belt bailed out, I noticed a length of 8mm all-thread protruding from the front of the a/c compressor bracket. It appears that the dealer secured the compressor to the mounting bracket with a length of all-thread with a self-locking nut on each end. The stud had taken a pounding, and had finally sheared off at the back ear of the mounting bracket. I suspect that solves the mystery of the missing belts. I replaced the all-thread with a 8 x 120 bolt, a couple of wave washers, and a self-locking nut. We (my son and I) put on a new belt thatís stayed in place for the past 1000 miles.

First set of questions: the a/c compressor bracket on my car looks nothing like the bracket shown in the real.oem diagram. When the dealer ordered it, they ordered PIN 82-39-9-404-494. Itís a black metal piece with two mounting ears for the compressor. Is this the ďlater modelĒ bracket that Iíve seen referred to in some posts here? And is there any reason why I should care which version I have?

Second set of questions: we used a 13 x 815 belt. Stock is 12.5 x 810, but we didnít have a stock belt available at the time. Anyone else using this slightly larger belt size? Any issues with it?

Third set of questions: shortly after the we got the belt installed, the a/c system succumbed to the frame rail cutting into the black rubber a/c hose. I gather from looking at posts here that thatís a common problem. Looking at the a/c setup on another 1990 M3, I can see two insulated hoses that cross the frame rail at close to right angles. But on this car, the black hose that got cut runs across the rail at a shallow angle. I also see that the other car has plastic clips on the frame rail that probably are meant to protect the hoses from the rail. Not surprisingly, there arenít any on my car.

So is there some alternative to having the black hose running across the frame rail at a shallow angle? And what have others done to protect the hose from the rail? Do the plastic clips do the trick? Or is something more needed?

Thanks for any answers.
Working...
X