Hot start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot start issue

Hello,If I spend a lot of time driving in city traffic and I turn the engine off, the car will not start and needs to "cool off" some 30 minutes before it will start again. I hear the fuel pump working but the starter does not engage when this occurs. In otherwords, I have a silent start when this occur. Many years ago I had a ski boat that exhibited this situation and the problem turned out to be a faulty coil. Does anybody have an idea what the issue could be? Any input is greatly appreciated.Best regards,Slfan

Mine has done the same thing once. It is your starter. A fix that typically will work for the moment is take a long metal object and tap the starter a few times with love when it does it.

Comment

MillerMotoring,

Thank you for the input. I will try "tapping" the starter next time this happens. Do you know what the permanent fix for this would be? Would it be a new starter?

Regards,
      slfan

Comment

Originally posted by slfan View Post
        MillerMotoring,

Thank you for the input. I will try "tapping" the starter next time this happens. Do you know what the permanent fix for this would be? Would it be a new starter?

Regards,
        slfan
        Ya it's a new starter mine only happened once so I have not replaced it yet.

Maybe some one with more technical knowledge can chime in.

I think it's just the parts getting worn and the heat causing them to expand and stick. But that's just an educated guess. No proof.

Comment

If you do not hear the starter at all when this problem occurs it is likely the solenoid on the starter is bad or the brushes are corroded or it has a couple bad teeth on the gear that engages the flywheel. The reason tapping on it will often help it start the car is because it will loosen things up but this should only be used as a temporary means, if this is occurring it is a clear sign to replace the starter. Basically the starter needs 12V to work, corrosion decreases voltage, starter wont turn. If the coil is going bad it would also likely be causing running issues like hesitation/misfire.

If the starter is new, then your problem is elsewhere. Things to check of the top of my head; battery, coil, ignition switch. Remember if the starter doesn't get 12V it doesn't like to cooperate.

If the starter engages and the crank is turning and there is no start then there are lots of potential culprits. Remember an engine only needs air, spark, and fuel. If it were happening on a hot start the spark plugs could be getting wet from a rich mixture. Letting it sit or pulling the plugs will allow them to dry. The car can also be started by holding the throttle wide open while cranking, just remember to let off the throttle as soon as it fires. These engines dump a lot of fuel on cold starts and if you only drive a short distance in stop and go conditions it can leave the plugs wet, and this a reason you should not start the car and cut it off without allowing it to come to operating temp.
          Last edited by Dougy Fresh; 09-01-2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slfan View Post
            I had a ski boat that exhibited this situation and the problem turned out to be a faulty coil.
            I have exactly the same problem.
            If you can only hear the fuel pump, but not the starter, I wonder what the connection to the coil
            could be?!

Comment

Dougy Fresh,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. When the car is hot, the starter will not engage at all. As I hear the fuel pump and see that current is going to the dash, I have narrowed down the problem to either the coil or the starter. As the coil is the least expensive and labor intensive item, I will start with that item. Once again, thanks to you and MillerMotoring.

Best regards to all,
              Slfan

Comment

If the engine isn't cranking over when you try to start it, it's a problem in the starter or the electrical circuit associated with the starter. The ignition coil has nothing at all to do with it - if the engine cranks but does not start, then it may possibly be the coil. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Comment

You are correct, sorry for the brain fart, for some reason I thought the ignition coil was connected to the start circuit supply voltage.

Here is a schematic of the start circuit.

Comment

Does the starter have its own ground/chassis strap? Did you check that?

Comment

Just suffered this in the spring. Was the starter in my case. Mine happened even when cold.
                      Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Fellows,

Once again, thank you. Will focus on the starter circuit and ground strap.

Regards,
                        Slfan

Comment

Working...
                        X