Anybody rebuild clusters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody rebuild clusters?

I have a slight problem with the temperature gauge. It works 80% of the time but 20% of the time it will get stuck on the hot end but the car is not running hot. Is it possible to just get the temperature gauge portion fixed without replacing the cluster? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Originally posted by poofyo101 View Post
    I have a slight problem with the temperature gauge. It works 80% of the time but 20% of the time it will get stuck on the hot end but the car is not running hot. Is it possible to just get the temperature gauge portion fixed without replacing the cluster? Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Did you try tightening the little nut that connects the ground wire to the temp gauge (outside the back of the cluster)?
    John 3:17

Comment

Contact Palo Alto Speedometer if you need the cluster worked on:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

They have been in business for more than 50 years, are completely reputable, and know what they are doing.

I had that maddening problem wherein my speedo would stop working intermitently based on the ambient temp, vibration, moon cycle, who knows? New clusters are crazy expensive, and I didn't want to buy a used one for a variety of reasons, so I sent it to Palo Alto. For around $80 they re-flowed the solder on all the connections and fixed the problem. I am usually a DIY type guy, but after looking at the cluster and the myriad of different types of connections, I didn't even want to attempt a diagnosis.

I am pretty confident they can fix your problem.

Comment

I rebuild clusters and other BMW electronics. I've rebuilt several M3 clusters already, even Oliver's cluster. I promise you that my prices are far more affordable that most other companies.

My test bench has full capability of testing and verifying every operation of the E30 cluster. You can view my feedback and threads on R3vlimited, bimmerforums and Ebay (Bavrest.)

Intermittent temp gauge can be attributed to, most often, a loose 7mm nut behind the gauge. Other culprits are dead SI board batteries because the board does directly power and control the temp gauge, MPG gauge, and tach. So if your SI board batteries are original, you should replace them or the board. Other possibilities are cracked solder joints on the cluster main board. This is all, of course, assuming the wiring and sender check out OK. If your coolant temp sender is original, go ahead and replace that cheap part. The sender should read about 1000 ohms at room temp. Good luck.

Comment

Greg rebuilt mine he did an amazing job to say them least and the communication with him was awesome. prices were great as well. I can vouch for him.

-Joseph

Comment

Thanks Joseph!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
              I rebuild clusters and other BMW electronics. I've rebuilt several M3 clusters already, even Oliver's cluster. I promise you that my prices are far more affordable that most other companies.

My test bench has full capability of testing and verifying every operation of the E30 cluster. You can view my feedback and threads on R3vlimited, bimmerforums and Ebay (Bavrest.)

Intermittent temp gauge can be attributed to, most often, a loose 7mm nut behind the gauge. Other culprits are dead SI board batteries because the board does directly power and control the temp gauge, MPG gauge, and tach. So if your SI board batteries are original, you should replace them or the board. Other possibilities are cracked solder joints on the cluster main board. This is all, of course, assuming the wiring and sender check out OK. If your coolant temp sender is original, go ahead and replace that cheap part. The sender should read about 1000 ohms at room temp. Good luck.
              Hi, where are you located? Contact info? I have a speedo that's nonfunctional.

OP, I had a similar issue that was remedied by tightening the loose nut behind the gauge.
              Terrance

Comment

I have bought two AFMs from Greg (S14 and M20). Great communication, patient, awesome product. I imagine the cluster work is of the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
                  OP, I had a similar issue that was remedied by tightening the loose nut behind the gauge.
                  Or the loose nut behind the wheel.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

I used to rebuild them all the time. See if your local dealer still has the test equipment to bench test it. If they do then they can test the whole cluster or the individual gauges out of the cluster so you're not chasing your tail...

Originally posted by drinaldis
                    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

+1 for Gregs///M

I bought a refurbed SI board for my 318is & it works flawlessly - Greg was very good with communication and prompt in sending the SI board.

I will definitely use Greg's service for future work on my E30's
                      Andy W.

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                        Or the loose nut behind the wheel.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
                        Yeah, I thought about rewording that sentence when I was typing but decided to leave it as is. I knew someone would point out the nut behind the wheel. :drive:
                        Terrance

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
                          Hi, where are you located? Contact info? I have a speedo that's nonfunctional.

HI, I am located in Concord CA. You may contact me directly at [email protected]. I just repaired a burnt out M3 speedometer by component replacement.

We too have a test bench that can fully test the E30 cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                            HI, I am located in Concord CA. You may contact me directly at [email protected]. I just repaired a burnt out M3 speedometer by component replacement.

We too have a test bench that can fully test the E30 cluster.
                            I wish I knew about you when I sent my cluster to Palo Alto. Concord is a lot closer to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X