Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny how doing something right makes a difference...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny how doing something right makes a difference...

A few months back, I pulled off the rear brakes to apply some anti-squeal paste since the constant squealing was driving me crazy (not to mention being a little embarassed). I had a little trouble getting the pads back in on the driver's side, and wound up pushing the caliper out a bit too far. I buttoned everything back up, and I have had a mushy brake pedal since then.

I went ahead and ordered a pressure bleeder from Motive in order to correct the problem. However, that was months ago. Since I don't drive the car that often, I just let it slide. However, it was seriously detracting from the driving enjoyment as I would have to pump the brakes a couple of times to get good pedal feel.

Well, tonight I finally got off my lazy ass and bled the brakes. Followed the instructions to the letter and was done in over an hour. I wound up flushing the entire system, but I do admit lazyness in not bleeding the clutch. Oh well, it seemed to feel fine anyway. Also, my idiot self had put the anti-rattle clips on incorrectly so I fixed that too.

WOW-what a difference! My car finally has a nice, solid brake pedal. The previous owner has records of at least one brake flush per year, but it never felt as good to me as it does now. I still could stand to have new rotors and pads, and that will come in the near future.

Sorry for the long post, but I am so happy with the results-it makes me want to drive the car again!
    Eric Giles
    '07 X5 4.8i
    '01 325i
    sigpic

Cool!
    I have a Motive bleeder and don't know how ever I lived without it.

You say you followed the directions, did you fill the Motive tank with brake fluid? I don't bother. It seems like it would make quite a mess. I just top off my reservoir then attach the bleeder (empty) and pump it up to about 12psi. I watch the level in the reservoir as I bleed the brakes, when it gets low I pull the bleeder off and top off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick
      Cool!
      I have a Motive bleeder and don't know how ever I lived without it.

You say you followed the directions, did you fill the Motive tank with brake fluid? I don't bother. It seems like it would make quite a mess. I just top off my reservoir then attach the bleeder (empty) and pump it up to about 12psi. I watch the level in the reservoir as I bleed the brakes, when it gets low I pull the bleeder off and top off.
      I filled up the reservoir, then dumped a couple of liters of fluid into the bleeder. I pumped it up to close to 20psi and let 'er rip. I had a bit of trouble at the end trying to get the level in the reservoir down, but I finally got it. I probably used up most of the new fluid in the bleeder just trying to get that part right!

It is just like anything else-the first time you make a number of mistakes and it takes a while. After that, it is very easy and takes no time at all.
      Eric Giles
      '07 X5 4.8i
      '01 325i
      sigpic

Comment

HA! Do it right the first time, it really helps in the long run!!

Then, NEVER, NEVER go half ass with brakes!! These are a MAJOR safety thing!

I have the bleeder also, I can flush my brakes in about 20min with it. My only trouble is I have 2 bleeders per caliper in the front.

What I have learned.....
        1. Fill it with fluid! If it sucks air, you will have to use even more fluid to rebleed the system again!
        2. DO NOT over pressurize the bleeder! WHY you ask? Well the clutch line is not clamped on there, and will blow off! Guess what happens? pressurized brake fluid spraying all over the place.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

bah pressure bleeders suck, just did all of mine last week minus the clutch since its on a seperate resivior

Shes sold now :(

Comment

I love to hear all 4 corners squealing like pigs

Now add some braided lines good to hear you got it all fixed
            Last edited by Jess e30 ///M3; 05-25-2004, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I've tried them, always prefer SpeedBleeders myself along with their sealed plastic catch bag and silicone hose
              A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Just finished doing mine last night (after replacing all the rear pipes, goodridge hoses, pads, wear sensors, front seal kits etc)

I use a vacuum bleeder (Mitivac) which works great but does take about an hour to do all 4 corners. Because it appears to draw air in through the bleed-nipple threads, I always do manual bleed when I'm finished to put my mind at rest.

God, the old fluid was dirty! I bled the clutch as well, seeing as the car is up on axle stands waiting for my rebuilt prop shaft to come back.

All in, I used just over a litre of new fluid. Can't wait to see what the brakes are like now! (They were always good, but the pipes were shot).
                Steve
                Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Originally posted by Jess e30 ///M3
                  I love to hear all 4 corners squealing like pigs

Now add some braided lines good to hear you got it all fixed
                  Little things like squealing brakes really annoy me, even though I know it is basically the nature of the beast.

Luckily the previous owner installed braided lines on the front, so I am good to go! One thing he did do which I am not happy about is remove the front disc splash shields. He had brake ducts and needed maximum cooling for the DE he was in, but due to the cars street only use I took all that out and put the foglights back in. What is involved in putting in new brake shields? Would I have to remove the hub, or do they basically bolt on to the back of the assembly? Guess I should really make a new post for this...
                  Eric Giles
                  '07 X5 4.8i
                  '01 325i
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, if you want to re install the backing plates you have to remove the hubs. If you do go for it you may as well do wheel bearings while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamZ4
                      I've tried them, always prefer SpeedBleeders myself along with their sealed plastic catch bag and silicone hose
                      I had them and removed em.

They leaked really bad, and never felt like they were sealing in the good fluid. They also gauled up at the tip.

Yes, they worked good, but always leaked around the threads making a real mess.

Do not click
                      At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                      X