Shift Knob!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Knob!!!

Can someone please tell me if there is a trick involved with getting a shift knob off. From what I've read, you're simply supposed to pull up. Well, I'm pulling up hard enough to probably damage my tranny and the damn thing isn't coming off. Any ideas?

Is it stock?

Comment

If it's a stock one, pretend your this guy and your shift knob is Excalibur.

Pull harder, like your trying to steal it. If you hand doesn't slam into the rear view mirror when you finally get it loose, you didn't pull hard enough.

This is a stock shift knob right? If it is a momo or other aftermarket knob there will be set screws that need to be loosened before you remove it.

Comment

I don't think it's stock, it looks like a BMW knock off. No set screw that I can see. Just keep pulling, huh? OK.

Comment

Pull Up as hard as you can with both of your hands.. Just don't hit yourself in the eye while pulling on it.

Comment

If there's no screws then the only way off is UP.

Comment

Allright, this is getting damn frustrating. The damn thing isn't coming off. I've stratled both seats and pulled until I'm red in the face. Tomorrow I'm taking a cutter to it, how carefull do I need to be? I'm assuming the shifter is a form of metal, right?

Comment

shift is all metal, good luck man.

Matt
                -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

I wonder if its glued on there... can you twist the knob at all? How about taking the shift boot un hooking the four clips and seeing how it's held in there.

Comment

Before you cut it, can you take a picture of it so we can figure out how to get this off a sane way?

Is there a metal collar at the bottom? Does it look something like this?

The metal collar at the base would unscrew and expose some countersunk screws. If not look at the front of the knob and see if there are any holes on the knob.

If you yanked till your red in the face and it didn't come off, then cease and desist till you figure out how to get it off. There has to be a screw holding it.

Comment

Be patient and study the layout some more. If you get to vicious you'll end breaking the rear view mirror and possibly the front windshield.
                      Pull up the gaiter and look for hidden set scews. If there are any shiny trim rings, unclip them and look for set screws.
                      Remove the gear locator plaque care fully and see if there are set screws going down into the end of the selector rod.

if you're going to destroy the knob, attempt this by twisting, but don't forget about the shift linkage.

murphy is definitely looking over your shoulder
                      m.

Comment

Don't twist it. You will break all the linkages and everything else down there that is weaker then the shifter. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Cut that shit....first rip off all the leather covering....itll make it easier to see whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by iluvm3s
                            Just don't hit yourself in the eye while pulling on it.
                            LOL :rolling:

Been there, done that... glad nobody was looking. Laughed my ass off though. Had to go check and see if my eyeball was still intact.

Jake Larsen

P.S. Ok, come on, who else? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                              LOL :rolling:

Been there, done that... glad nobody was looking. Laughed my ass off though. Had to go check and see if my eyeball was still intact.

Jake Larsen

P.S. Ok, come on, who else? :P
                              OK Ill admit to it too. Doing a 1st to 2nd shift while playing with rice. Good thing I was ahead of the guy so I didnt get caught. I tell you though, shifting to 3rd without a knob (still racing here)cut my hand. Those little horns up there are sharp!

Comment

Working...
                              X