No announcement yet.

Shift Knob!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive had my console out for a while, and every once in a while i get up the balls to do something i shouldnt. brakestand, and throw it into second violently, only problem is every single fricking time the shiftknob comes off in my hand. the time frame is spread out enough time for me to somehow forget that this is always the outcome. hmmm.

Comment

It looks like this one only with a matte finish instead of the chrome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42606

Any other ideas before I take a saw-z-all to the f'er?

Comment

You could always try a slide hammer that is used for body work if youve got one. Find a way to attach it to the shifter (screw or maybe nylon webbing) and give it a tug. You can always take the shift rod out of the car and pull it on a vise or something too. Pull the retaining clip from the linkage and then remove the nylon shift socket retainer and slide it out. From there it may be easier to manage, or just replace.

Hey Im shooting in the dark here too. That thing must be glued on or something. Perhaps the previous owner thought that may get rid of the shifter buzz if you got it.

If all else fails, saw-z-all the bastard and show it who is boss!

Good luck!

Comment

Just seen this, so I could be too late, but under the plastic shift pattern emblem there is a screw. If you take this out the shift lever just comes off without any effort at all. I believe it expands the plastic into the noth in the top of the lever.

Comment

Originally posted by UK215M3
            Just seen this, so I could be too late, but under the plastic shift pattern emblem there is a screw. If you take this out the shift lever just comes off without any effort at all. I believe it expands the plastic into the noth in the top of the lever.

Bump for results? VegasS14, did you ever get it off?

Comment

Yeah, it came off, thanks for asking. I used a huge pair of vice grips to hold on to the top of the knob and pounded it off with a hammer. It didn't come off easy, that's for sure, but I thought the sawz-all might be a little extreme. So, keep that technique in mind if your having problems getting your knob off, only don't expect to re-use it after it comes off....

Comment

Originally posted by VegasS14
                Yeah, it came off, thanks for asking. I used a huge pair of vice grips to hold on to the top of the knob and pounded it off with a hammer. It didn't come off easy, that's for sure, but I thought the sawz-all might be a little extreme. So, keep that technique in mind if your having problems getting your knob off, only don't expect to re-use it after it comes off....
                So now that kind of knob did you get?

Comment

Haven't picked one out yet, but I'm thinking of something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I like the metal look, but if anyone has some other suggestions, I'll take them.

Comment

thats pretty nice...

the UUC knobs are pretty nice too but I can attest to metal knobs becoming extremely hot during the summer...almost brand that elbem into your palm !!

jeff
                    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

I picked one of these up and love it. Looks retro enough to work with the interor but it's still cool. It's solid, but not as heavy as the UUC knobs, so it you're looking for mass that's the way to go.

http://www.vitessetuning.com/shiftknob1.html

Comment

Hey, that's pretty sharp, where'd you get it? The only places I've really checked is eBay and the MoMo website. I'll take a look at UUC but if there's others out there, please let me know. Also, would be interested in matching a hand brake too.

Comment

UUC has some of those carbon fiber ones...

I like the idea of those because I don't think they get as hot as the metal ones

jeff
                          1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

Or if you want a custom design, check out this site:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/home.htm

I had him make me a custom one for my Mini and it is great. As long as the design only covers the upper half of the knob he can do it. He offers both brushed and polished or a combo. If you want to get an idea of his work, search this site for "whalen":

http://www.mini2.com

It says on his site that BMW knobs are coming soon but he has been making them for a while just not updated the site. Send him an email if you're interested.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                            X