Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain

How often should the chain be changed??

As needed or when the opportunity presents itself. For some reason Munich Legends recommended UK M3 owners change theirs out every 100K miles or else they'll break...this simply isn't true.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Just keep the tensioner in good shape and wear is very low. There is no need to replace the chain at some mileage. Use the later style E36 M3 tensioners to cut wear and start up noise. It's an easy to install part, easier than the stock unit. PNs and article on Gustaves site:

http://www.e30m3performance.com/inst...oner/index.htm

Stan

Comment

Thanks guys
        I was told that it had to be changed every 80-100.000km

Comment

"changed every 80-100,00 km"

You're not the only one who heard that! It's scared many people into doing a couple thousand dollars of unnecessary engine work. Mostly the rumour seems to come from a particular British shop that is very well known. They tell folks this all the time, have had it printed in magazines, etc, etc. To some people it has become reality.

Good clean oil and proper tension allow the chain to live indefinitely. If you were doing a rebuild or changing a head or something it would be prudent to change some cam drive parts along with lots of other stuff. Since the labot is "free" and the engine life has been extended.

Stan

Comment

I think it is the general idea over here to get the chain changed at 100k miles, I think this stems more from the old E28 M5 engine which did have this problem as it was a simplex chain, the S14 is a duplex.

Mine can be quite noisy on start up sometimes and had a new tensioner last year although it is an S14 one. I am just about to get all the chain and sprokets done, more for peace of mind that anything else. I'd always planed to get the Schrick cams fitted so it's a chance to get it all done at once. Plus a few other bits.

This way from no one I now it will be in perfect order for any future upgrades.
            "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

So how do i know if it needs to be changed

I just recently purchased my m3.
              It has 135k on it. The previous owner changed the tensioner (E36 i think)and has a well maintained history on the car, but how do I know if I need to change the chain?
              Thanks Harlan

elefantsupply.com

Comment

Working...
              X