Clutch Recommendations Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Recommendations Please

After 100K, I think my clutch is toast. Unfortunately, it happened yesterday at the Buttonwillow driving school...

I was checking out the Sachs Heavy Duty Light Weight Clutch Kit plus Korman's lightweight flywheel. I've heard some negative feedback about the Sachs heavy duty systems. Anyone have experience with this setup?

Would you recommend any other clutch kits? If it matters, the car is mostly for street with the exception of 2-3 driving schools and 2-3 auto-x per year.

TIA - Pete

Stock, if you engine is stock.

Sach HD if you have some mods, and like the track.

Then when you get a serious engine, go with a AP racing clutch, or the Sach racing clutch.

Don't waste you money on the Korman FW, just buy the EVO unit.

Do not click
    At least it's German

Comment

I have the exact set-up you are looking into. I think its great but it can get tiring having a stiff clutch. I was tired after a long day yesterday and was whining about the clutch being too stiff to my dad and he told me "quit being a pussy, look at my left leg, its huge isnt it." Overall I like it but if your going to be stuck in traffic all day, get the stock clutch and the korman flywheel.
      -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
      http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
      PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Korman flywheel? I do like Ray but their prices are bit too heafty... you might have better luck finding other places with a better flywheel at cheaper prices... just my $.02

Comment

Mike's got it. It's been an old rule of thumb, the stock clutch works absolutely fine with stock power. It will even handle moderate power hikes without complaint. So don't even bother considering anything but the stock light action pressure plate on a mostly stock S14. Or so I hear...

Jake Larsen

Comment

So exactly when do you cross the line to break into the heftier clutch kits?
            -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

When your pushing 600hp with a M30 turbo.... or a 300+ S14...

I believe if your not drag racing (dumping clutches) then the stock (like others said) should be fine but ad a lighter flywheel..

Comment

I'd imagine the HD unit would only be necesssary if you have significant torque upgrades like 2.5L+Maxx. Also it depends on how you drive the car. If you start easy and don't slip the cutch too much and don't shift hard at the redline you will be OK with the stock clutch even if you have a lot of power.

As for the flywheel, if you're going to lighten it, you might as well go all the way and get the JB Racing/ MPD 8lb version instead of the 12lb Evo version so you notice the most difference. The best price I have found is www.apexengineering.com for $420
                Last edited by AlpineRunner; 06-13-2004, 10:03 AM.
                "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

is there any way to get the lightweight pressure plate but with a less stiff diaphram spring?

I need lighter rotating mass but not increased clamping/leg force
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I have a Sachs HD clutch and stock flywheel and am happy with it. The cost difference between stock and this one was small so I just went for the upgrade now, just in case I added more HP later.

Go with the HD, check out VAC for a fair deal on one.

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bi...w.pl?man=Sachs

Comment

Guys,
                      Thanks for all the feedback. I love this site!
                      Pete

Comment

If you are considering the Sachs HD clutch, you might want to look at either Clutchmasters or Spec clutches. These companies build stock-style clutches for our car. By stock-style I mean that they start with a stock Sachs M3 clutch and modify it for higher clamping force and use different disks. If you want something similar to stock, but with higher clamping force (crisper clutch uptake), higher HP capacity, and longer disk life, it might be something to think about. Unfortunately the Clutchmasters and Spec clutches are not that cheap, but in the long run you will save because they last so much longer.

Here is a pic of the Stage 1 Clutchmasters disk and pressure plate next to a stock one. The disk is an organic material similar to stock:

Here is a Stage 3 Spec clutch, including a lightened Sachs pressure plate (~5lbs lightened) and 6-puck twin surface carbon based ceramic disk. There are many other disk options too:

You can purchase Clutchmasters clutches from Bimmerworld and Spec directly from www.specclutch.com . Ask to talk to David if you can....

HTH
                        Jeff J.
                        1990 E30 M3

Comment

it says on the SPEC website you can add the lightweight option to any Stage for just $79

thanks for the info
                          A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

stage 2 with lightweight option looks like the ticket! Any comments about kevlar versus carbon/ceramic disk materials? Is it reasonable to think clutchmaster has some higher quality parts used at over $200 more? Any experiences with either clutch make?

Comment

Originally posted by BijanH
                              stage 2 with lightweight option looks like the ticket! Any comments about kevlar versus carbon/ceramic disk materials? Is it reasonable to think clutchmaster has some higher quality parts used at over $200 more? Any experiences with either clutch make?
                              Are you talking about Clutchmasters or Spec? I looked at the clutchmasters site and could only find stock OEM/stage 0 clutch kit.
                              Jeff J, does Clutchmasters have upgraded clutches for our cars?

Also, would the SPEC stage 1 kit (with the higher clamp pressure plate be as aggressive as the Sachs HD kit? I'm always looking for better than stock, but I've heard the HD is not nice for traffic as it makes the pedal much heavier. Would the SPEC stage 1 make the pedal similar to stock, between stock and HD or heavier than HD?
                              Thanks!
                              Last edited by AlpineRunner; 07-08-2004, 04:24 PM.
                              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
                              X