EVO 2 pistons on rebuilt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVO 2 pistons on rebuilt??

Ok gang next year I am going to do a rebuilt on my car and was just wondering if anyne has oversized ( EVO 2 ) pistons on their standard U.S car?

Looking at bavarian's web site they offer .25mm .50mm and 1.00mm oversized pistons- now are the EVO 2s .50mm or can you get the 1.00mm and be fine
    any pros / cons with 1.00 and .50

I just want to slowly gather up parts for the upcoming year.

I definetly want to stick with the 2.3 route for now.

let the educating BEGIN!!

Thanks in advance...gotta go The Simpsons are on

- Ara
    -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

BMW E2 pistons come in these sizes:

93.355mm (0) 11 25 1 312 631
    93.405mm (00) 11 25 1 312 632
    93.555mm (+0.20) 11 25 1 312 633
    93.755mm (+0.40) 11 25 1 312 634

I have a new set of E2 pistons in 93.355mm (1 312 631) but they obviously won't do you any good if you need to rebore. If you're going to rebore and you don't have a need to leave room for another rebuild, just go with the 93.755mm pistons. Other than that, there's no other reason to go with anything smaller until you reach the physical limits of the bore. In this case you're not even close yet so no worries.

HTH,
    Jake Larsen

Comment

Thanks Jake for the lightning quick response.

I think I'm just gonna go with the 93.755mm ones mainly because the rebuilt after THAT will be the 2.5 route.

Thanks a bunch for the p/n.

I'm gonna have my cousin ship my brand new Evo 2 cams from Bonn as well as throw in the Evo cam gear...I cant wait till the rebuild - but my wallet can ( i don't believe in credit cards )

I just called up Bavarian autosport to figure out what those " .50mm and 1.00mm " pistons exactly are......I'm waiting for their call back...seems fishy

- Ara
      -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

im not a fan of the evo cam gear....

How about some cams to go with the new bottom end...or some head work.

Comment

Adam, I've got some mixed reviews about the cam gear.....right now I do a lot of day to day driving ( about 4 or 5 times a week ) and my car isn't exactly ready for auto -x and track days, but I do a few canyon runs with my bimmer buddies every month.

i want to set my car up for a " mildly tuned " M3, because I know if I do a 2.5 it will lead to a domino effect of buying Evo stuff which I believe a 22 year old that gets paid around 650 a month should stray AWAY from...so I think new Evo 2 cams should suffice.

next week Im going to get the plasma booster from ignition solutions as wel as a new iigomotiv chip.

would anyone know what spark plugs would compliment the booster?............I dont feel like starting a new thread and annoying magnus.

Thanks

- Ara
          -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

I think that OE pistons are going to be WAY expensive......I could be wrong though. Why not consider a set of JE or Weisco pistons.....you can tailor it to whatever you want through most places who sell them and probably save some money in the process.
            Charley Terhune
            89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
            89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

agreed with CT_M3. JE or Ross or anyone can make wahtever piston spec you want (bore or CR) for much much less. plus they ahve come a long way in terms of metals since the s14 was built. you can get superior quality, lighter weight, and stronger pistons now.

good luck with your plans.
              "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
              onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

very cool, I'll look into that.

Thanks for opening other routes.

- Ara
                -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

somebody posted this link the other day:

http://www.racetep.com/jeimport.html#bmw
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Damn they are so close to where I live....I never knew about their stock of JE......sweet

Is that a misprint??? 625 bucks for a set of pistons with rings.....thats almost the price of just two pistons from the stealership.
                    -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

It will actually come to $695 with Total seal rings. Pistons for the S14 are $25 more than the others. I have put off ordering a set for a about a week now until I can determine my cam configuration. I spoke someone at Top End on the phone- they dont give you standard wrist pins, they are already a LW version, although they have another lighter version available. He didnt reccommend these unless it was a race car/highly modified motor. They dont carry any on-shelf pistons for the S14 so there is about 3-4 week wait.
                      Charley Terhune
                      89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
                      89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

Our pistons are $650 per set, which includes Total Seal rings.. Gapless takes it up an additional $75.

Why go factory heavy-weight cast, when you can go ultra-light forged and get whatever bore/compression ratio you want?

Give us a call if you want more info, or email me.
                        Alex McHenry

Comment

Tambal,

Seeing that you live in CA, beware of high compression pistons. We have some truly crappy gas here.

This is one of the main reasons (that and longevity) that I purchased a set of EVOIII pistons - 10.2/1 compression ratio. I lucked into a set from Adrian (SIG member) in England for about the same price as the pistons mentioned above. If your car will be a street car, I would try to see if I could find a set.

HTH,
                          Joe
                          2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                          1995 Porsche 993
                          2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                          2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                          2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                          1985 BMW M635CSI
                          2001 BMW M3
                          1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch
                            Tambal,

Seeing that you live in CA, beware of high compression pistons. We have some truly crappy gas here.

This is one of the main reasons (that and longevity) that I purchased a set of EVOIII pistons - 10.2/1 compression ratio. I lucked into a set from Adrian (SIG member) in England for about the same price as the pistons mentioned above. If your car will be a street car, I would try to see if I could find a set.

HTH,
                            Joe
                            Sure, if you have the 87mm crank to go with them.

Jake Larsen

Comment

Damn Jake,

You mean I need the 87mm crank too??!!!!

Hope you're doing well,
                              Joe
                              2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                              1995 Porsche 993
                              2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                              2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                              2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                              1985 BMW M635CSI
                              2001 BMW M3
                              1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X