Header wrap.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header wrap.....

Does anyone here have or have used header wrap? What is the easiest and best one to get? I have the new header for the car and would like to wrap it before putting it on the car. Any pics would be nice too.

T

generally not considered to be the best way to go, recommend you send it off for a coating like Hot Jet or something similar

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Header wrap will help with exhaust flow, but it will eat the header away.

Your best bet is to have it ceramic coated, it will look nicer, and you may pick up some power with it.

Do not click
      At least it's German

Comment

Jesus would prefer a stylish wrap, though Silver Surfer enjoys the shiney coatings....

The wrap gets old, dirty.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Does anyone know if the 2pc 50/50 header is stainless steel?

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT
            Does anyone know if the 2pc 50/50 header is stainless steel?

T

Yup, it is....

Do not click
            At least it's German

Comment

stainless steel will not erode like uncoated mild steel, but it will stress fracture from excess heat over time so be careful if your intent is to use a stainless steel header with header wrap
              A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Have had a thermotec blanket (not wrap) over the stock headers for about 4 years now. No cracking, eating away, or any other problems. Easy to install while the header is on the car too. It's silver on the outside. Lots of others have used the wrap itself and claim no problems either.

Stan

Comment

last time we had a thread on this, it turned out that the coatings like "hot jet"
                  are not really effective heat barriers. they are just paint basically.

I probably would look elsewhere to find a few hp.

John

Comment

admittedly I though the Hot Jet name out haphazardly, but they are not all just hi-temp paints:

http://www.swaintech.com/header.html

Comment

I just put some header wrap on an s50 motor in a gutted car to try to keep it from cooking the underside and heating the cabin excessively. I've heard it eats the header as well, something about condensation being trapped between the header and the wrap. I have no idea if its actually working, but it was lying around, so I figured why not?

Also , I've heard from friends that the jet hot and similar coatings doesn't seem to last on s14 headers. Even the higher temp blue-ish colored coating (by I think jet hot as well) doesn't seem to hold up. They all seem to cook off after a few track sessions. Maybe they last under street driving conditions.

Comment

Swain Tech Header Coating is different than All the other header coatings. It is applied as SOLID Ceramic Layers, not hi-temp paint. It is a true .015 thick Thermal Barrier.
                        Other header coatings are .002 thick and meant for appearance and corrosion resistance. Swain Coating is Functional not Cosmetic.

Comment

Working...
                        X