Change cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change cam

What is the easiest way to change cams and is it possible to change cams with the engine in the car??

Yes its very easy....all you ahve to remove is the valve cover...

I can swap a cam in about 30 minutes...if you want to do a valve adjustment that may add some more time.

ADA///M

Comment

Everything is easy when you know how it is done
      I guess the cams comes out upwards and not at the end of the engine like the M20 engines???

Comment

Correct....they slide out upwards....if you have another set of hands to help its even easier.

I didnt know what I was doing when i changed my cam. Its very straight forward. Just dont mess up the timing...

General Steps(there are small steps in between but you should know them)...assuming this is an intake cam...
        1-Remove valve cover
        2-Remove cam cover on front of cam carrier
        3-Remove Upper Timing Chain Guard
        4-Remove six bolts holding cam to cam gear
        5-Remove Cam Bearing bolts
        6-Disconnect Cam gear from Cam
        7-Remove Cam Bearings
        8-Remove old cam/swap in new cam....reverse the steps...

Did I miss anything?????

Comment

I thought it was a bit harder than that. Dont you have to get the timing right and all that? Like you cant just throw the cam in there, correct? Im ignorant, my bad.

Comment

The timing is what I am most affraid of. How do I make sure I donīt mess that up??

Comment

you should also remove the timing chain tensioner, or at least loosen it to give some play to the timing chain so you can get the cam gear out of there more easily. Just mark the cam, cam gear, and timing chain and it should be easy to keep them in time with eachother. Also, remove the cam carriers little at a time, don't loosen them all the way right away. Same thing goes for when you tighten it down, tighten a little at a time. It really isn't that hard, should take a few hours if you take your time.

David

Comment

I am gonna change the tensioner to the S52, so the old is going out anyway.
                How much torque should the cam carriers be tighten with??

Comment

the torque spec for the caps is 22Nm or 16ft/lbs.

That's not much, so make sure you do it gradually, otherwise if you tighten it too much at a time your cam might not sit in there straight

David

Comment

Correct

Mark everything....but if you have two sets of hands doing it...its really esay to keep the timing lined up....

You must as 1990M3 said tighten the bolts a very little at a time...do it in the same pattern you would do the head bolts...

Just dont drop any cam gear bolts into the engine...otherwise you'll be an unhappy person....

Comment

Working...
                    X