X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding STOCK steering rack

First please look at the images on this link:
    http://missekattene.users.whitehat.d...ackProblem.htm

I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering rack, but i've gotten stuck on getting the steering spindle out of the valvehousing body... I feel kind of stressed. As i can only work a few hours on it every other day... And i need my car running on tuesday at the latest if i'm to get it registered before the holliday!

Has anyone of you guys done this... ? If so please give me some hints..... I really don't want to pay up for a BMW OE part thats really too expensive...
    Steffen Otto Jensen
    จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
    1989 318is
    1989 M3 Cecotto (196/505)
    www.cecotto.dk

Why not have the rack rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. Ala certified by ZF.

Not a flame.
    "Never lift"

Comment

ZF in Denmark wants almost 538$ for the rebuild, With no guarantee it will be perfect afterwards..

So i've decided to do it my self, the parts are only about 50$. And they are the same parts as the standard E30 rack needs... Also i have the BMW original rebuild papers, as a support. But there seems to be some minor differences between the two. And i got kind of stock... What the rebuild basically involves is taking it apart and installing new bushings and seals in it.. If the problem is mechanical wear or damage on the gears a rebuild wont help.

Lets just see how it goes
      Steffen Otto Jensen
      จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
      1989 318is
      www.cecotto.dk

Comment

Sorry! This thread is opened. I was made aware that it regards only the Stock rack and valid help/answers are needed in the rebuilding of it.

It was closed in error. I apologize.

Items have been editted...

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I think it has to be pressed out from the rear, anybody?
          A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

the factory serice manual says it should pull out by hand, but that is the back end of the spindle shaft in the rear view

I would try to lightly press it out from there if it won't pull out by hand, what else can you do?
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I see a snap ring in the photo on top of the bearing. Have you pulled all this apart yet? Are there any roll-pins in the shaft anywhere? Is there any way that the shaft will go out the other way (maybee with the snap ring removed)? Just grabbing at straws at this point. If all else fails, do like what has already been said and lightly press it out from the back and see what happens.
              Let us know how it comes out if you get it.

Comment

the snap ring locates the bearing on the spindle, it is suppose to pull out as an assembly

the bearing is taken off after you remove the spindle assembly from the housing

Comment

Yeah the snap ring doesn't help then it should come out the back... I'm sure there's another located on the other side of the bearing...

Well the solution now is that i've ordered a new one at BMW(pretty expensive), I'm keeping the old one(loosing the core charge).. And hopefully after the holliday i'll have time to rebuild / investigate the matter further... And maby sell it off if I manage to fix it...(it's worth more than the core charge)

Well i still hope to hear from anyone with some good advice.... And i'll keep you posted...
                  Steffen Otto Jensen
                  จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
                  1989 318is
                  www.cecotto.dk

Comment

Working...
                  X