Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, oil seepage from front of head....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, oil seepage from front of head....

I seem to be having some moderate oil seepage from an odd location on the front of the cylinder head. Let me see if I can accurately describe the source of the leak. Standing on the right side of the car looking at the front of the head. There is a round cap, approximately 3.5 inches in diameter. This cap is somehow fastened to the lower front head. Also, this cap has a 2 inch slot casted into it which I assume is how the cap is tightened or losened.

Note, this is not the cap that covers the end of the intake cam. This mystery cap is down lower on the front of the head. Anyone have an idea what this cap is and how to address my oil seepage issue since there is no obvious way to remove and reseal this cap?

Thanks so much!!!!

Mark Masleh
    E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

here is a pic ot help

I 'borrowed' a pic from JLee to help illustrate my leak. Note his leak has the photoshopped arrow to it.

My leak is the round cap with the slot lower middle front of the head. As seen in JLee's pic. Thanks!!!!!!

E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

Cant remember, but is that the plug for the oil galley? I could be wrong, I think its coolant or oil though.

Matt
      -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
      http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
      PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

apparently it's just a threaded plug, probably remove it, clean, and reseal with an appropriate thread sealer

A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

>>>Cant remember, but is that the plug for the oil galley? I could be wrong, I think its coolant or oil though<<<

In the photo, the arrow is pointing to the access plate that permits easier service of the intake cam gear. It's just a metal plate with an o-ring and it's retained by those two fasteners. They often leak and a new o-ring and or goop should seal it right up.

>>>apparently it's just a threaded plug, probably remove it, clean, and reseal with an appropriate thread sealer<<<

Our heads have two halves. The cam carrier or upper half is the one with the arrow pointing to the access cover on it. The part you showed Mike, is on the actual "head" portion of the assembly. Very few production heads are built this way, part of why they are so pricey to produce.

Stan

Comment

btw, that's an access hole into the frontside of the timing chain valley area at the front of the head, note there is another smaller threaded plug (Item 2) that fits through it to install on the backside of the valley, probably a coolant galley plug
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Front of S14 engine FYI...

Stan

Comment

I believe you are confused, please reread the thread

Originally posted by ///Empowered
                My leak is the round cap with the slot lower middle front of the head. As seen in JLee's pic. Thanks!!!!!!
                Last edited by TeamM3; 06-24-2004, 06:20 PM.

Comment

exactly, the lower slotted plug

This site is amazing, thanks for being such a tremendous resource.

So it seems there is confusion as to if this slotted plug is for an oil galley or a coolant galley. Mine has oil seeping from it. Enough that after some heated drives it seeps down the front of the motor and gets everywhere.

Next, how do i get that plug out? Is there a special tool? I tried a round piece of steel in my vice grips, that just bent the round steel. Thanks so much gang!

Mark M
                  E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

exactly, the lower slotted plug

So it seems there is confusion as to if this slotted plug is for an oil galley or a coolant galley. Mine has oil seeping from it. Enough that after some heated drives it seeps down the front of the motor and gets everywhere.

Next, how do i get that plug out? Is there a special tool? I tried a round piece of steel in my vice grips, that just bent the round steel. Thanks so much gang!

Mark M
                    E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

Re: exactly, the lower slotted plug

Originally posted by ///Empowered

Mark M
                      There is no galley of any kind behind it -- just open space. Thats the area that the timing chain lives in. I very very seriously doubt that you have a leak there -- much more likely that your leak is below that, at the head/lower timing cover interface, or above it through the distributor housing (rather common leak point -- again, remove and replace the o-ring).
                      Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Re: Re: exactly, the lower slotted plug

Originally posted by jefrem
                        There is no galley of any kind behind it -- just open space. Thats the area that the timing chain lives in.

Originally posted by TeamZ4
                        btw, that's an access hole into the frontside of the timing chain valley area at the front of the head, note there is another smaller threaded plug (Item 2) that fits through it to install on the backside of the valley, probably a coolant galley plug
                        :cool:

Comment

Re: Re: Re: exactly, the lower slotted plug

Originally posted by TeamZ4
                          :cool:
                          And your point was?
                          Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

last time I checked my cap and rotor there was a small bit of oil in there, would a new o-ring in there usually solve that problem?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                            they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                              last time I checked my cap and rotor there was a small bit of oil in there, would a new o-ring in there usually solve that problem?
                              No -- there's a seal that the rotor base (that piece that has the %@^# allen bolt that always strips holding it in) rotates on. That seal can go bad and allow leaks into the distributor housing. Part # 11 14 1 271 415.

HTH!
                              Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Working...
                              X