sport evo g/box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sport evo g/box

Have noticed a worrying noise from the g/box on the car, a sort of rumbling noise when the clutch is dis-engaged, fine when engaged, what are the options, new box, rebuild, re-con, are these boxes unique to the sport evo or are they used on other cars in the bmw range, does anyone know the type or serial number of the boxes, so i know what to look out for if I need to source another box, the car was up for sale but I will not sell until this problem is fixed.

Thanx, steve.

i think someone here is having the same problem with their CR tranny....hopefully they'll post about it.

Comment

its the throwout bearing....not the box
      mine's been doing that since i bought it...i guess i should throw it out and replace it soon lol
      "You must drive this car before you die, it really is that good." BMWCar Magazine re:the e30m3; Oct. 2002

Comment

Emdrie, do you mean the thrust bearing, if so, then it's definately not that, as I've been under the car and listened to the noise, definately the box.

Comment

Mine does the same thing, I also thought it was the throwout bearing. I have the stock plastic junk one , I guess when its time to replace my clutch I'll go with the heavyduty one and see if the noise goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by steve1
            Emdrie, do you mean the thrust bearing, if so, then it's definately not that, as I've been under the car and listened to the noise, definately the box.

i do...
            well if thats not it, then i'm in the same boat as you lol no help to anyone...
            "You must drive this car before you die, it really is that good." BMWCar Magazine re:the e30m3; Oct. 2002

Comment

I think it'as the lay shaft. It goes quiet when you dip the clutch and come back when you let the clutch out again?

My Sport Evo does this and my last late Spec one did it to. It quite common.
              "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

So nothing to worry about then?
                Kevin
                Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

Re: sport evo g/box

Have noticed a worrying noise from the g/box on the car, a sort of rumbling noise when the clutch is dis-engaged, fine when engaged, what are the options, new box, rebuild, re-con, are these boxes unique to the sport evo or are they used on other cars in the bmw range, does anyone know the type or serial number of the boxes, so i know what to look out for if I need to source another box, the car was up for sale but I will not sell until this problem is fixed.
                  A lightweight flywheel will make noise when the clutch is in and no noise when the clutch is out. Is that what you are hearing?

Comment

I wouldn't say so. It's just a bit or wear. My last car did it and worked fine, no gear crunching or anything. When they start to drone I thing that when you want to look at a rebuild.
                    "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

M3Pilot, same symptons as mine then, is this on your new car, still like to get it fixed though as this would put potential buyers off, you are right about the crunching, g/box works fine.

Comment

I am right in the middle of a CR gear box fiasco. I just bought and installed one into my car. I also installed a LTW flywheel and sport clutch at the same time. When I forst drove it out of the garage, I heard noises like a cement truck full of rocks anytime I had load on the first 2 gears. It was silent when the clutch was in, and was nearly silent with the car in neutral. It is my theory at this point that it is those troublesome layshaft bearings that are worn out. The noise is pretty bad though, so if yours is mostly quiet, then you may be able to wait a while. I do hear that if these bearings go for too long, it will render the tranny into scrap since they will wear out the gear shafts. Mine is scheduled to be rebuilt this week after I pull it out again.

Comment

Do I take it then, that the g/box is the same as a standard e30 m3, it's just the final drive that is different.

Comment

Do I take it then, that the g/box is the same as a standard e30 m3, it's just the final drive that is different.
                            No, the internals are different.

I think the layshaft is supported differently and 5th is also locaed in a different position. This is what I have heard at least. I will rip into it next week, so I can be a bit better qualified to speak on the differences later.

Comment

O.K. look forward to hearing from you.

steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X