Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot Bearing stuck to tranny input shaft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Bearing stuck to tranny input shaft!

So I am getting the "shaft" with transmissions lately. This is the second time I will have removed a bad tranny in 1 month. The old US spec tranny went out on me, so I replaced it with a low mileage CR tranny. After 10 feet I knew the new one was bad. Anyway, in removing things for the second time, I fond myself fighting the tranny to get seperated from the bellhousing. It comes loose after lots of work, but I think it took the pilot bearing with it since its apparently hanging on the clutch release fingers. My theory is that the tranny input shaft bearing was done, which allowed some misallignment to totally cook the pilot bearing.Does anyone have any ideas how to get this damn thing loose so I can get the transmission inspected/rebuilt? I have tried everything I can think of to get it loose including a 2' snap-on breaker-bar (gently but firm of course). The tranny is literally about 2 threads from comming off the bellhousing studs, so there is very little I can do to wiggle it. My main concern is that the clutch is brand new and I would hate to have to replace it if I bent the release fingers getting it out.

Oh, by the way...I just realized that the throwout bearing wont come out through the clutch disc itself since the diameter of the bearing is larger than the female splined shaft of the clutch. I guess I only have to worry about killing the clutch at the worst. I still need some ideas on getting this mother out though.

Comment

if that is what happened it seems to me the bearing would be hanging up on the center hub of the disc, not the pressure plate
      A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
        if that is what happened it seems to me the bearing would be hanging up on the center hub of the disc, not the pressure plate
        Right, it was late and I was tired last night. In my second posting that is basicly what I was trying to say, but you said it much more clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie1976
          Right, it was late and I was tired last night. In my second posting that is basicly what I was trying to say, but you said it much more clearly.
          So, the bellhousing is still attached? But the tranny itself won't come out? It would be extremely odd for the pilot bearing to come out with the tranny input shaft, but I suppose stuff can happen. Usually you have to fight to get the pilot bearing out.

Anyways, I'm assuming you've tried putting the tranny in gear and wiggling the output shaft of the tranny to no avail. Also assuming you're sure you're not getting interference from the header/bracket or anywhere else.

At this point, you may be stuck with taking off the bellhousing with the tranny, and removing the pressure plate (you sound like you'll have enough room to access the PP bolts).

Let us know how it goes....
          Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Originally posted by jefrem
            So, the bellhousing is still attached? But the tranny itself won't come out? It would be extremely odd for the pilot bearing to come out with the tranny input shaft, but I suppose stuff can happen. Usually you have to fight to get the pilot bearing out.

Anyways, I'm assuming you've tried putting the tranny in gear and wiggling the output shaft of the tranny to no avail. Also assuming you're sure you're not getting interference from the header/bracket or anywhere else.

At this point, you may be stuck with taking off the bellhousing with the tranny, and removing the pressure plate (you sound like you'll have enough room to access the PP bolts).

Let us know how it goes....
            Yea, the bellhousing is still attached, but I dont think that there will be enough room to get a allen wrench in there to release the plate bolts. I only have about 1-1.5" of space. I had to fight the tranny to get it seperated from the housing, so I am betting that I was pulling the pilot bearing out during that time.

I have tried turning the tranny in gear and the damn input shaft is turning without turning the clutch so I think the input splines are free. I have also tried pressing in the clutch and holding the pedal with a broom stick while I wiggle from below.

I have read some other cases on non-bmw cars where this has happened and it took cutting the bellhousing open with a hole-saw to release the pressure plate bolts. Yikes!!

Anyway...Im not there yet, but I would like to throw a wrench or two at the car. Think that will help?

Comment

Originally posted by wookie1976
              Yea, the bellhousing is still attached, but I dont think that there will be enough room to get a allen wrench in there to release the plate bolts. I only have about 1-1.5" of space. I had to fight the tranny to get it seperated from the housing, so I am betting that I was pulling the pilot bearing out during that time.

I have tried turning the tranny in gear and the damn input shaft is turning without turning the clutch so I think the input splines are free. I have also tried pressing in the clutch and holding the pedal with a broom stick while I wiggle from below.

I have read some other cases on non-bmw cars where this has happened and it took cutting the bellhousing open with a hole-saw to release the pressure plate bolts. Yikes!!

Anyway...Im not there yet, but I would like to throw a wrench or two at the car. Think that will help?
              If all else fails, it might be time to hit the tool store/truck. Something like this might help:

Snap On Ratchet

Good Luck!
              Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

So here is an update on this one. I after 3 additional days of pulling, I was at my last thread of hope for getting the tranny out. After this was to be a tow truck to a shop, where I would have to pay (yes I said pay) to have the tranny removed for me. For this, I would have been defeaten and no longer worthy in my own book. Well a good buddie of mine who also has a very sweet E30 M came over to give it one last hurrah. Nothing was working until he had an idea. Pull the bellhousing studs so we can rotate the tranny around a little, perhaps get it to release the pilot bearing. When we took the studs out and rotated the tranny 90 over, bam, it gave us unexpected access to the pressure plate bolts through a small hole in the bellhousing. Several bolts later, we removed the tranny and bellhousing at once. One look at the throwout bearing and it was confirmed that the bastard was stuck on the input shaft.

If anyone ever gets into this situation remember to seperate the tranny as far as possible and then use some vice grips to take the studs out of the bellhousing. After that, rotate the tranny 90 deg over and you will see the access hole (Half-moon shape) to the pressure plate bolts. Removing these bolts will allow you to take the whole enchalada out so you can seperate the pilot bearing on the floor. Hopefully this will save someone else the trouble in the future.

Now I just got to see how bad the transmission really is on the inside. Ill keep ya posted....
                Last edited by wookie1976; 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X