I've gone and blown the headgasket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone and blown the headgasket...

So I buy this E30 M3, 3 mos and 300 miles ago. Spent north of $10K on it thus far getting it track ready and sorted out, and to pass my state inspection.

I actually thought about selling it last night before the track day because of the nightmare and curse this car has been in my life, but I figured it would all be worth it today...

Today was the day, all that $$ and time for this one day. I hit the track with the big boys, the Porsche club...

1st session out, come back in the coolant light is on...loss some coolant. Check it out, nice and green, go back out.

2nd session, again same thing, lost coolant...check it out, nice and green. Let the car sit, eat some lunch, come back check it again before refill...little oil bubbles...another hour later, its just black.

Car never overheated or anything...I hit the redline a few times but thats it.

So despite my seething hatred for this cursed vehicle at this moment, I had it towed to my mechanic.

Presuming the heads aren't warped,

1. what kind of bill should I expect for this repair ?

and

2. What else should I get done ? preventative maintenance or upgrade items.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Don Fields posted about this sort of thing recently on the SIG. He seemed to be saying that you can have a *slightly* warped head that seals perfectly on the street. Bulletproof. But after 10-15 minutes on the track and some issues come to light. Fix = yank the head and get it flat and true again. Don't just do a head gasket job w/o looking into this or it will recur.

Stan

Comment

Thanks Stan, I've posted this on the SIG as well to see what I get, I'll spend some time later searching their archives.

And sorry about the rant...

Jeff

Comment

I have a trick for you. My neighbor has built many PTG style high compression engines, and probably 6-10 s14's, including mine. His trick is to paint the head gasket. I was at his house when he was building it and he sent me out into the desert with the head gasket and a can of silver paint(color doesnt matter). He told me "paint that thing silly so you wont blow a head gasket." BTW let the paint dry. He told me some high tech thing about when the engine warm up the paint will seal everything better or something. Either he has gone crazy, or he is the man. No problems with mine yet! Just an idea for thought.

///Matt
        -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
        http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
        PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

How did the car run (temp) on track? Did you have fun in the car while she was running good? I am happy that you decided to keep her after your little thought.

Comment

damn Jeff, I feel your pain :sosad:
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I don't think I have any choice but to keep it..:sosad:

The car ran pretty good, handling was great. I wasn't able to get the hang of momentum driving in two sessions...so the car was underpowered relative to the rest of the group I was running with...

I'm actually going to get an idea of cost then look into options of doing a conversion to a E36 M3 motor or something along those lines.

Jeff

Originally posted by Bavarian3
              How did the car run (temp) on track? Did you have fun in the car while she was running good? I am happy that you decided to keep her after your little thought.

Comment

Working...
              X