Removing rear view mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rear view mirror

somehow it's gotten loose. I took out the check panel, I see how the mirror is fastened to the inside of the roof. Problem is I can't find any fasteners to remove the stem of the mirror from the roof. Really I just need to tighten it up so it doesn't vibrate like crazy at all RPMs.

I can see that it's loose, I just can't figure out how to get the mirror off so I can retighten the plate it fastens to. It looks like there are pry tabs to the left and right of the mounting base, but i couldn't seem to pry it off. thought i'd post before i break something

thanks guys

dave

Dave,

Are you trying to remove the rear view mirror or just tighten it up? If you are trying to tighten it up, then if you look behind the rear view mirror (on the glass) you will see that there is a little adjuster that you can move left or right to push against the window.

You don't want to remove the rear view mirror, since it will be a pain in the ass to put it back in. Ask me how I know.

Comment

PULL HARD
      2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
      1995 Porsche 993
      2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
      2004 Ford F-150 FX4
      2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
      1985 BMW M635CSI
      2001 BMW M3
      1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

yeah Mike, i think i need to remove it so I can tighten the plate that it attaches to. The plate is what is loose.

Pull hard, huh? Is it just a couple of spring clips on each side?

Comment

Dave,

On mine (with map lights) all you have to do is tighten it by moving the little O that is attached to the mirror - which goes against the windshield...

The mirror is attached by two spring clips on each side... but it's not fun!

Comment

Yep, the mirror is designed to "break away" in the event of an accident.

PS - It's harder to put back in than remove.

Cheers
            2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
            1995 Porsche 993
            2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
            2004 Ford F-150 FX4
            2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
            1985 BMW M635CSI
            2001 BMW M3
            1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

you were right mike. just twist the cylinder on the back of the mirror. Of course, first I pulled out the mirror to take a look at it and I broke the wires out of the harness by pulling down so hard. What a pain in the ass to repair those wires. Anyway, it's fixed. Made it hard on myself, wish I just twisted that cylinder from the beginning

dave

Comment

Working...
              X