Leakdown test - Good results! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leakdown test - Good results! :)

Hey, feeling great this morning. Just had the 1988 M3 124,000 miles in the dealer for a leakdown test. Through some of our local BMW CCA chapter tech sessions I have developed a bit of raport with the master tech at my local dealer. I have always been curious as to the general health of my motor. I do about 3 or 4 drivers schools each summer and tend to push the S14 hard running it up high in the rev range frequently which is how they beg to be driven. The car has always felt strong dispite the age and miles but with age and miles comes uncertainty as to the general health of the engine. Especially when I hear some of the horror stories on these boards. Well, she passed! All cylinders were within acceptable spec percentages and the tech did not find any reason for concern! Note, test was done on a warm engine. The car was driven 20 miles to the dealership then the engine was tested.

So, guess that means I can stop worrying about needing to afford a rebuilt and I can start planning some mods. I am leaning towards a set of cams first. Then after the cams perhaps opening her up with the Maxx A/N setup. Does that sound like the correct order? Thanks much, feeling good today here in PA!!

Mark M
    E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

What were the numbers?

Comment

Nice to hear a that the M had a good check-up. When middle aged it is best to get the blood, heart and colin checked-up-on very regularly.

Cams are always a great thing, with chip, and exhaust...

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I say dump the "barn door" first, then you'll get the most out of all your other engine mods. Yes, you'll have to re-tune when you improve volumetric efficeincy, so take that into consideration if you're not the plug-n-play type. JMHO

-Dietrich
        '91 M3 -no longer headless (you have no idea)
        '91 318i 196k

Comment

Nice to hear a that the M had a good check-up. When middle aged it is best to get the blood, heart and colin checked-up-on very regularly
          Did the "master tech" who checked out your car put his finger up the tailpipe?

Comment

Numbers were under 7% on all.....

Talked in length with the tech on this one. He said the leakdown numbers were excellent.

Cyl
            1 5%
            2 6%
            3 7%
            4 5%

Again, this test was done on a warm engine that was driven 15 miles to the dealer and then tested right afterward. I prefer the test with a warm engine as a cold engine will always have odd leakdwon results until the engine metals have heated and expanded to their propper fittament.

Mark M
            E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

Those are very strong numbers.... usually one sees around 10-15%.

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                Those are very strong numbers.... usually one sees around 10-15%.
                Agreed. I've never seen numbers that high on an "old" engine. You're a lucky guy!
                Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Re: Leakdown test - Good results!

Originally posted by ///Empowered

So, guess that means I can stop worrying about needing to afford a rebuilt and I can start planning some mods. I am leaning towards a set of cams first. Then after the cams perhaps opening her up with the Maxx A/N setup. Does that sound like the correct order? Thanks much, feeling good today here in PA!!

Mark M
                  Well you might want to save a little because the leakdown test doesn't tell you anything thing about the rod bearings, which are usually the part that necessitates a rebuild if it fails. Otherwise, those are excellent numbers!!
                  "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Alpine is right....

If I were you and had those great numbers i would just replace the bearings through the oil pan soon anyway(not too expensive). Just my opinion...i'd replace mine, but i know my engine isnt in that good a shape anyway. So something is gonna blow anyway. But if I had those #'s id replace the bearings ....but im a retard.

Comment

Working...
                    X