CF Sunroof Panel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Sunroof Panel.

Can anyone confirm that the sunroof panels are the same between E30 M3's and normal E30's? I'm making a composite one and i wanted to see if i can make the mold from the 3 series that i have. Final construction will be carbon fiber with a nomex honeycomb core. I dont know what the weight would be, but i know a hood weighs about 7 lbs with the same construction. The piece would be rigid as well, not flimsey like some light weight fiberglass hoods.

Yeah, sunroof panels are 100% identical

Comment

the pannel it self is not all that heavy its the casset that kill you, are you keeping it operational?

Shes sold now :(

Comment

stock panel is 10-15 lbs. that sucker is heavy. it is interchangeable between all the e30's
        "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
        "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
        onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

actually prolly is worth it because of where the mass it located on the car...it's much more effective for handling to get mass off the roof than anywhere else.
          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

i'm planning on making it so it can either be kept functional with one set of brackets or using some different ones to make it a true plug. but once made, it would be one or the other. i'm buying fiberglass to start mold construction tomorrow. i'll take many pics for sake of making it a true DIY project.

Comment

if it were up to me entirely, i'd just have a case of the fu*k-its and make them permanently sealed. if i can do both a functional and non functional option, more will be interested in the product.

Comment

i know this makes three posts in a row, but is the sunroof seal actually water tight? seems like that fuzzy-ish "gasket" wouldn't stop a whole lot of water. does it drain somewhere else?

Comment

no, the roof isnt not even close to water tight. the seal is just for dirt. the roof vents out to the rear of the car, near the top of the rear fender.
                  "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

shahe what happened to your CF sunrof project?

drifty- i would be interested in a functional one. i could be your guinea pig, seeing as we live in the same state what city do you live in?
                    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr
                      shahe what happened to your CF sunrof project?

drifty- i would be interested in a functional one. i could be your guinea pig, seeing as we live in the same state what city do you live in?
                      it will all be here next week

Comment

i'm in edina, yeah i'd make one for myself first most likely. Maybe i'll sell it to ya though.... i'm probably going to make one eventually that you can take out, but gets rid of the tracks. Well.... the fact that its not water tight just makes my job more easy! thanks for the info mrsha007

Comment

My thoughts on the water tight thing, i think its mostly water tight on my car, mainly for the fact it doesn't drain as much as i would think. i just poured some water near the rails of my open sunroof, and i dont know that it all drained out :-/ Also, my sunroof drains under the seam of the front of the door. probably just an E30 thing.

Comment

Originally posted by drifty30
                            My thoughts on the water tight thing, i think its mostly water tight on my car, mainly for the fact it doesn't drain as much as i would think. i just poured some water near the rails of my open sunroof, and i dont know that it all drained out :-/ Also, my sunroof drains under the seam of the front of the door. probably just an E30 thing.
                            that might be where it is, and the rear windows i think drain to the back oif the car. eitherway, your sunroof drains away watter, it does not block it out.

Comment

Originally posted by drifty30
                              i'm in edina, yeah i'd make one for myself first most likely. Maybe i'll sell it to ya though.... i'm probably going to make one eventually that you can take out, but gets rid of the tracks. Well.... the fact that its not water tight just makes my job more easy! thanks for the info mrsha007
                              i work in edina. 76th and france. ill pm you my number. yeah, i was interested in the ones that mrsha007 was making, but since your closer, id be very interested.
                              1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X