Flywheel Bolts....GRRRR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel Bolts....GRRRR

So, whats someones great trick to keep the engine from rotating when taking out the flywheel bolts? I am doing this solo, so if its a two man plan, I could probably find someone to help, but would rather be able to do it myself.

Thanks,

Will
    Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

Check a dealer and ask nicely for the special tool, a tool that will be put on the fixing holes of the starter and blocking the gear on the flywheel, tha the job can be done alone.
    Other way put a bolt in the fixing hole of the clutch housing and use a huge srewdriver or something else to block the starter gear on the flywheel but for this ya need two guys : )

Comment

1- Screw a small bolt in the threaded holes where the clutch plate is usually bolted.
      2- Screw a long bolt in one of the mounting points for the tranny, at 3 O-clock
      3- Put the small bolt at 4 or 5 O-clock and bridge the two bolts with a small wrench.

This will keep the flywheel from spinning when you undo the flywheel.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

I jam a big screwdriver into the bellhousing into one of the flywheel teeth and it stops it from rotating. The dealer has a tool, but they usually use this method or an impact wrench with the right torque stick on it.
        I work at the dealer now as a BMW tech, if that counts for anything.
        Your car needs a clutch already man? didn't you get it with 110k miles? hows the car going?
        Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
        '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
        http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

Sounds like you need air tools.

I've never removed a flywheel so my opinion isn't worth shit on this subject but I'd bet an impact gun would spin those bolts right out.

Comment

I managed to get it out by using an offset box wrench against the exhuast, and than a 1/2" ratchet with a 32mm combo wrench acting as the torque arm. Managed em all without too much issue.

Ryan...its the throw-out bearing that bit the dust, as it fell to pieces when I took it out, and the ball bearings went every which way. I figured the clutch, pilot bearing, and the starter should get done while I am down there. Thinking about an SSK as well, but they are much easier on the M3 than a 325is, so that might wait til I have some $$ back in the bank. (My local dealer wanted $75 for the Z3 1.9 lever...not happening).

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I just gotta wait for parts, and figure out where the pilot bearing is and I'll be up and running in about a week.

Will
            Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X