Oxygen Sensor removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen Sensor removed

Removed an Oxygen sensor from a spare header with the intention to use it in my car. Look at the pic for the result.
    All the thread is gone. It was very hard to get it out and the threaded bung in the header isn't looking very good. What size thread is the sensor M18 x 1.5mm? Any advice how to remove the sensor while the header is still in the car? there is not a lot of room for big tools down there.
    TIA Uwe

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Yeah, if you get one of the "dedicated" sockets for O2 sensor removal, and get about 2+ feet of extensions and a "U" joint it will come out fairly easily from the top.

That is the only way I have found to get at it.

Comment

Looks like you won't be using that one again....
      Kevin
      Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

i couldn't remove my sensor from the top as it was practically welded onto the manifold. i had to remove the header and use a 3 foot pry bar to remove the sensor. when it came out it looked much like the one in the picture - all the threads were mashed. what were they thinking at bmw when they chose that location anyway? on my 318ti the sensor is side mounted and can be removed immediately...

Nik

Comment

Try soaking the sensor/pipe interface with a penetrant like Wurth Rost-Of. Do this for several days so that it can creep into the chemical bond(rust).
          Obtain a 3/8" driver "O2 sensor socket"
          Obtain several long 3/8" drive extensions.
          Obtain a 1/2" drive to3/8" drive adapter
          Use a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar.
          Attack the sensor from above near the expansion tank with the exhaust warm but be careful.

Otherwise drive to a repair shop where they have an acetylene torch and ask them to heat the sensor to red, then loosen while red hot.

may be you could heat the sensor yourself if you can fine a butane torch kit.
          m.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will first get a tapper to be safe if the thread gets damage. The sensor pictured was heated up while getting it out. I want to cut a spanner and weld a 1/2 inch socket on it. At least I will have enough tools then to try. but with my luck I will have to take the header out.............

Comment

Uwe, does this mean you already have the wideband lambda and were getting ready
              to put it in the stock location? Hang on, the bad luck eventually goes away and then
              you have a period of good luck. then it cycles again...

John

Comment

what kind of price should an o2 sensor go for on these cars?

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

John,
                  no WBO so far but I want to be prepared. I'd rather have all the issues sorted an be ready to go. Imagine all the gear has arrived and you struggle to get it going because of a stuck sensor.......

Comment

UWE,

Still waiting for my WBO to arrive. Must be 10 days now. I have a spare header with a sensor in it so we could use that as a dummy for the setup. I am also thinking of mounting it in the GP N exaust just after the 2 into one.

Would this cause an adverse effect?
                    E30 M3 for the Road
                    & one for the Track &
                    a S14 2002 for fun

Comment

uwe
                      I plan to do mine this weekend changing to wbo2, hope its not to much of a pain to do, will follow some of the tips above.

Comment

pete,
                        what is the rest of your setup?
                        Which WBO are you going to use?

Dave I am having the correct tap now. So if you want to weld the bung to your header I will volunteer to help.

Comment

Uwe
                          Maxx a-n , cf snorkel supersprint exhaust, wb02 by techedge.

Comment

pete,
                            good setup! I am looking forward to hear your comments when it's all up and running. Are you going to tune it yourself?
                            where are you based?

Comment

uwe
                              yes will be tune by myself, had a-n on for about 5 months, you have to get one uwe, am in kent, how the top mount coming along?

Comment

Working...
                              X