X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean
    replied
    Originally posted by Jess e30 ///M3
    What are those sensors on the thermo housing? ... Also On the rear of the motor,Ive seen some weird looking valve thing that connects to the heater houses...
    Download my notes from here:
    http://www.akyol.org/racing/

In Group 17 I have listed the 4 coolant temperature sensors, where they are located and what they do.

Also in Group 17 I have listed some information on the Heater Core Bypass Recall, which is the "valve thing" at the back of the engine.

Dean

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by Jess e30 ///M3
    What are those sensors on the thermo housing? Ive seen it on other cars, but mine just has plugs. Also On the rear of the motor,Ive seen some weird looking valve thing that connects to the heater houses, again my car just has the hoses going straight into the fire wall.

Jess
    The sensor towards the front of the car on the t-stat housing is the dual temp switch to power the coils of the high and low speed relays of the aux fan.

The sensor on the rear of the housing is the high coolant temp cut off switch for the AC compressor.

T

Leave a comment:

• Jess e30 ///M3
    replied
    What are those sensors on the thermo housing? Ive seen it on other cars, but mine just has plugs. Also On the rear of the motor,Ive seen some weird looking valve thing that connects to the heater houses, again my car just has the hoses going straight into the fire wall.

Jess

Leave a comment:

• Matt R
    replied
    Worth checking both the main and aux. fan are both working correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Mmark
    replied
    Right hand side of the front of the engine as viewed from in the car.
    It is a black cannister with two sensors(usually) and several hoses coming off it.
    The lower rad hose is connected to it.
    The thermostat is inside the canister.(change the whole canister).
    After the thermostat is replaced. pour some coolant/H2O mix into the coolant tank and start the engine.If you can reach the lower radiator hose, it helps to squeeze it between filling the system to get the thermostat to purge air.
    This will take quite a few minutes. If any of the hoses look bulgy at the clamps, replace them now or you'll be stranded again shortly.
    m.

Leave a comment:

• inzyi
    replied
    Originally posted by Highrever
    if it heated up immediatly, sounds like a stuck thermo. was the water coming out in a stream like it always does just below the cap when it was off?
    Yes, the stream from the return hose just below the cap was ok. This is why I am confused...I dont know if its the thermostat or the water pump. By the way, where is the thermostat and water pump located?

Leave a comment:

• Highrever
    replied
    if it heated up immediatly, sounds like a stuck thermo. was the water coming out in a stream like it always does just below the cap when it was off?

Leave a comment:

• inzyi
    replied
    Ok, so I refilled the expansion tank with water and it turns out the the hoses are not the problem. With tank full of water I turned the car on and let it run, and the coolant gauge kept creeping toward the red zone. Eventually, the water in the expansion tank backed up and started to overflow again. Does this mean that my thermostat is bad? Or can it be my water pump?

Leave a comment:

• Magnus
    replied
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...t=radiator+cap

Leave a comment:

• inzyi
    started a topic Help!...MY CAR JUST OVERHEATED!!!

Help!...MY CAR JUST OVERHEATED!!!

Hey guys,

I was in the parking lot with my engine turned on when I saw steam coming from under the hood. So I quickly turned off the engine and opened the hood to find coolant everywhere. When all the steam subsided, I found a huge puddle of coolant under my car and none in the coolant resivour tank. I had just driven home from work maybe 10 minutes before and everything seemed fine. Any ideas? It looks as though the coolant came from the cap area judging by all of the sprayed coolant on my engine. I dont think it is a hose, but it can be...
Working...
X