Every last HP.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every last HP.............

I'm bored as hell and just we could brain storm on all the unconventional ways to get 1/2/3hp.........

Here are some that I thought of.....:

Accusump: There is a claim floating around of +20rwhp......:rolleyes:

Sparkplugs: Weither it is indexing them or going to colder ones, are there really gains here?

Coil over plugs: Is this an overall midrange torque mod, or is there upper RPM gains here?

Parasitic drag: Has anyone ever been on a dynapack and tested the drag from the alternator with accessories on? I remember seeing a demonstration by Richard Clark (car audio guru) where he hooked an alternator to a stationary bike and added accessories while someone peddled. By the time he turned on the stereo the guy on the bike was worn out from all the other accessories.

Lightned flywheel: I understand that it is not a hp gainer, but a hp gainer to the road (where it really matters).

Better diff: Do better LSD diff's with the same ratio provide better acceleration?

Header wraps: This is not a debate weither they corrode the header or not, this is a debate on weither they actually gain hp.

Wax job: Does a good wax make the car slipstream through the air better?

High Octane gas: does this just protect from detonation or is there HP advantages.

you forgot

Vinyl: the more stickers....the more hp....

Wings: The bigger the wing...the more hp....

Exhaust tips: The bigger the.....you get the idea :p

Comment

Tony,

You probably know all of the answers but here are my thoughts..

I personally believe that comparing 91oct vs 100oct, 100ct is better and MIGHT produce an extra 1hp or 2hp. I run 100oct in the Henna and also use octane booster every now and then.

The only problem is that we can't dyno two cars (that are exact) with 100ct vs 93oct/91oct.

Anything new will be better than used, well some things. I believe new plugs, new wires, new rotor will gain more hp vs used plugs, new wires, etc.

There was a test on a car in the TPR magazines, and rated 6 sets of wires, there was a HP difference.

I do believe that the radio,speakers, heater, ac, all drain some power, heck you can tell with the AC on, that is why I removed mine.

Comment

Re: Every last HP.............

Originally posted by HANDBLT
        I'm bored as hell and just we could brain storm on all the unconventional ways to get 1/2/3hp.........

Here are some that I thought of.....:

Accusump: There is a claim floating around of +20rwhp......:rolleyes:

Keeping your crankshaft out of the oil can/will increase HP. There's a whole industry related to crank scrapers, etc., that help even more. With an accusump, you can realistically not run as much oil as most do in their S14s, and thus possibly pick up a couple HP. Be careful....

Sparkplugs: Weither it is indexing them or going to colder ones, are there really gains here?

In a hemi-head chamber indexing is less dramatically effective. Colder plugs won't make HP -- they'll prevent detonation during extended high RPM runs, esp. with increased CR motors. Different plug designs *can* potentially make more HP.

Coil over plugs: Is this an overall midrange torque mod, or is there upper RPM gains here?

Coil-over is just more efficient, especially at high RPMs.

Parasitic drag: Has anyone ever been on a dynapack and tested the drag from the alternator with accessories on? I remember seeing a demonstration by Richard Clark (car audio guru) where he hooked an alternator to a stationary bike and added accessories while someone peddled. By the time he turned on the stereo the guy on the bike was worn out from all the other accessories.

Huge.

Lightned flywheel: I understand that it is not a hp gainer, but a hp gainer to the road (where it really matters).

It actually is a HP gainer under acceleration.....

Better diff: Do better LSD diff's with the same ratio provide better acceleration?

Depends on the conditions of the surface you're driving on, whether you're turning at the time, etc. (e.g. a 75% LSD diff in a right-hand corner trackout situation will outperform a stock diff)

Header wraps: This is not a debate weither they corrode the header or not, this is a debate on weither they actually gain hp.

I prefer ceramic coating, but they *can* increase HP.

Wax job: Does a good wax make the car slipstream through the air better?

Um.... Prolly makes the hunnies come around more, which makes you feel better, and thus makes you drive faster :-).

High Octane gas: does this just protect from detonation or is there HP advantages.

HP relative to fuel is highly engine-dependent. You want to run as low an octane as you can without detonation. A stock engine running 100+ octane (AKI) is probably burning 30% of the fuel after the combustion chamber.....
        Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

I think some of the trouble is trying to measure such a small difference on a chassis dyno. They seem vary from run to run. I think you would need an engine dyno as I believe they are more accurate.
          "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

Just to make sure everyone doesn't think I am seriously trying to measure and gain these few HP, I am just bored as hell today and thought we come up with a few good ideas.

Keep them coming.

T

Comment

How about an earthing kit? Seems to be popular w/ the Japanese car crowd.

Comment

What about polishing the intake trumpets? Even without doing the TB's as well you might be able to get slightly better air flow on the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick
                  What about polishing the intake trumpets? Even without doing the TB's as well you might be able to get slightly better air flow on the intake.
                  I consider that one of those things you do when you're waiting for some part or other to complete your engine build :-). With an AFM barn door, you could have stalagmites 1" long in there and it wouldn't really matter..... But, it is satisfying, and without hope where would we be? :-)
                  Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

What about a shorter air box? Does that do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                      What about a shorter air box? Does that do anything?
                      shorter=more high end

longer=more low end

roughly

Comment

elektric water pump?

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Mercedes A class electric power steering pump
                          DTM generator
                          replacing A/C and all not nescessary parts

and and and

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Can't forget about those underdrive pulleys and lightweight components like Evo glass, bumper carrier, trunklid or FG/CF, unsprung weight like smaller/lighter wheels, etc.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Better ignition can lead to combustion efficiency improvements that affect the entire powerband. Coil over plug coils can be more efficient than a single coi/distributor setup but by how much, your guess is as good as mine.

Here are some interesting dyno results comparing the improvements going from stock coil-over coils to aftermarket coils (From Bosch to Ignition solutions)

BMW 330Ci:

http://www.ignitionsolutions.com/tec...es/exGraph.gif

http://www.ignitionsolutions.com/tec.../dynoGraph.gif

Acura RSX:

http://www.ignitionsolutions.com/tec...mages/dyno.gif
                              Raw Data:
                              http://www.ignitionsolutions.com/tec...raRSX/data.asp

It makes you wonder what the difference would be like going from single coil/distributor system to aftermarket coil-over coils...
                              Jeff J.
                              1990 E30 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X