Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Every last HP.............

Originally posted by HANDBLT
    I'm bored as hell and just we could brain storm on all the unconventional ways to get 1/2/3hp.........

Here are some that I thought of.....:

Accusump: There is a claim floating around of +20rwhp......:rolleyes:

Sparkplugs: Weither it is indexing them or going to colder ones, are there really gains here?

Coil over plugs: Is this an overall midrange torque mod, or is there upper RPM gains here?

Parasitic drag: Has anyone ever been on a dynapack and tested the drag from the alternator with accessories on? I remember seeing a demonstration by Richard Clark (car audio guru) where he hooked an alternator to a stationary bike and added accessories while someone peddled. By the time he turned on the stereo the guy on the bike was worn out from all the other accessories.

Lightned flywheel: I understand that it is not a hp gainer, but a hp gainer to the road (where it really matters).

Better diff: Do better LSD diff's with the same ratio provide better acceleration?

Header wraps: This is not a debate weither they corrode the header or not, this is a debate on weither they actually gain hp.

Wax job: Does a good wax make the car slipstream through the air better?

High Octane gas: does this just protect from detonation or is there HP advantages.

Head wraps: only if you have an S14 powered camel.

Wax job: only in GT3
    Last edited by BijanH(do not do business with me); 07-15-2004, 10:32 AM.

Comment

LTW rods and pistons, knife edge crank, shim under lifters so you can run a softer spring and have parasitic loss of cam pushing hard spring (thanks Stan, I think), sport evo LTW driveshaft,...that's all for now
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by jefrem
        I consider that one of those things you do when you're waiting for some part or other to complete your engine build :-). With an AFM barn door, you could have stalagmites 1" long in there and it wouldn't really matter..... But, it is satisfying, and without hope where would we be? :-)
        ha! been there. mine are polished.
        I still have that pesky AFM though.

Comment

Come on Tony!

Are you looking for Dyno HP, or are you looking at making the car faster?

Accusump will not add or remove any real HP, going to a DRY SUMP system will add some HP, due to the vacuum it creates in the engine, giving you better sealing of rings and better oiling.

High octane gas, well I hate to brake it to you, but higher octane gas have LESS energy per unit as 87. Since our cars do not have a knock sensor, it can not adjust the timing to take advantage of the higher octane gas. Newer cars will get HP from higher octane.

Plugs, well, I actually picked up 3whp with the A55v surface gap plug.

oil over plug gives more power to the plug, but also greater precision of timing. That is where the power comes from. I did pick up some low end torque with a new high out put, high rise coil.

Things that will pick up HP.
          Properly tuned engine!!!
          clean filters.
          clean and flow injectors
          cooler intake temps
          higher exhaust temps
          full high quality synth fluid can pick up 1-3hp.

The big problem with our cars, is most things were properly gone threw by BMW, and it's not easy to get cheap, "free" HP from it.

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
            Come on Tony!
            I told you guys twice this was just for shits and giggles.

Are you looking for Dyno HP, or are you looking at making the car faster?
            S/A

Accusump will not add or remove any real HP, going to a DRY SUMP system will add some HP, due to the vacuum it creates in the engine, giving you better sealing of rings and better oiling.
            Is the dry sump streetable?

High octane gas, well I hate to brake it to you, but higher octane gas have LESS energy per unit as 87. Since our cars do not have a knock sensor, it can not adjust the timing to take advantage of the higher octane gas. Newer cars will get HP from higher octane.
            Ha, Ha, Ha....I can change the timing and yououou caaaaan't..........

Plugs, well, I actually picked up 3whp with the A55v surface gap plug.
            I doubt these would be streetable in my setup.

Coil over plug gives more power to the plug, but also greater precision of timing. That is where the power comes from. I did pick up some low end torque with a new high out put, high rise coil.
            I am getting pretty close with the fit and finish of some GSXR or CBR COP sticks that come on the newer motorcycles. Some of the
            Supra guys are using these with an AEM CDI box to fire them, but I dont think the Moronic will fire them. I am looking into the way the LENZ works at the base setting like I have now.

Jeff, what did they change in your ECU to make it fire the COP's? Does the ecu drive the coils or does the ECU have the coils in it?

>>Things that will pick up HP.
            >>Properly tuned engine!!!
            I am pretty sure I have this covered.
            >>clean filters.
            I am pretty sure I have this covered.
            >>clean and flow injectors
            They are brand new
            >>cooler intake temps
            I live where it is 100deg with 90% humidity. No cool air for me.
            >>higher exhaust temps
            Header wrap?

>>full high quality synth fluid can pick up 1-3hp.
            Done

The big problem with our cars, is most things were properly gone threw by BMW, and it's not easy to get cheap, "free" HP from it.
            Then why have you spent over 25K upgrading your car so far? J/K

T

Comment

T
              I think that was his point...$25K is NOT "cheap and easy" haha. It will take me many many moons to put that much $$ in my car...but I'll get there!!
              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Tony, the ignition drivers are moved outside the ECU in order to drive the single coils. Pin 31 and 32 on the controller are used to switch the drivers between each of the 4 coils. These ignition drivers are typical Bosch parts you can probably pick up used (I have the part number), and I have the wire diagrams so you can make your own harness. The coils you can pick up from any model car that uses the first generation style Bosch coil. For the valve cover, I'd recommend getting a used E34 3.8L M5 cover, chopping out 2 cylinders, or try and machine down your stock one.

The Lenz controller needs to be modified internally to utilize the external ignition drivers. The original wire for pin 31 is removed, and new wires for pin 31 and pin 32 (previously unused) go in. The internal modification was about $300 to have done by Lenz if I remember right. But if you can source all the other parts used that could be some good bang for buck! That is if the coils help as much as I've been speculating they will... I've got it all wired in and ready to test out but I'm about to leave for a 2 week so I'll have to wait until I get back to test. I still have to put the motor back in :-(
                Jeff J.
                1990 E30 M3

Comment

Alternator load.....

You are right, the alternator load is huge on an engine!!!

In the philly area we have one of those discovery science type museums. They had an electric exibit the one time. An alternator was hooked to a crank. The task was to crank the alternator as a friend pushed buttoms to turn on a few low wattage parking lamps. Let me tell you, I felt the load on the alternator from just three small parking lamps!!!

Another example, my e36 M3. Sitting at a light while engine is idling, windows up, but push the buttom to raise the window. You can feel the load of the alternator on the engine, the idle drops for a split second then the DME counter reacts.

In short, the less electrical gadgets the better for performance!!!

Mark M
                  E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

Is the dry sump streetable?

Ha, Ha, Ha....I can change the timing and yououou caaaaan't..........

T
                    Yes, you can street a Dry Sump. The M88 M1 had it stock!

So what, my car is still faster then yours!:p

$25k> Nope, more then that. You got to throw BIG money at it to get major HP. If I put that kind of money into a Honda, or any Domestic V8. My car would do 9sec 1/4mi!

New Question about coil packs, has anyone tried the S54 ones? I bet they would fit on the stock valve cover!

Do not click
                    At least it's German

Comment

While I was at my engine builders shop we tested a coil from a sport bike he had which is the same model used on the S54 and it was too short. If you could find some sort of way to extend the connection to the spark plug then it might reach the plug. You could probably cut down the height of the raised plug holes and it could reach. It was also a bit too fat, but when we removed the rubber seal it slid in. Mike thought there might be plug lenght extenders from a certain model Ferrari if that helps...

With some work, I'm pretty confident you could make them work however.
                      Jeff J.
                      1990 E30 M3

Comment

Working...
                      X