Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveM
    replied
    Unless you're unlucky like I was - the bearing was so knackered that it fell apart leaving the outer race in the crank. It took me hours to get the bit out.

I've never tried the grease method so it's nice to hear people have used it with success.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    I will second what Wookie says. I have used the grease method on several different cars, including my M3, and it works. The only slight hassle is finding a bolt/dowel/rod or whatever that is a snug fit through the center of the bearing.

I used a long bolt from my scrap hardware box. Wish I remembered the size, but I don't.

Leave a comment:

• wookie1976
    replied
    I managed to pull mine off with the transmission still attached. lol, actually it wasnt that funny took me two weeks to get the tranny seperated after that.

You can try this old trick:
    Fill the pilot bearing hole where the clutch shaft fits with grease. Pack it tight. Find a drift of
    the correct size to fit closely in the hole. Take a hammer and hit the drift the grease will push
    the bearing out of the crank.

Another old method:
    Tear off a sheet or two (maybe more if this seems not enough) of toilet paper and get it wet in the bowl of water. Wad or roll it up and poke it through the center of the bearing. Repeat the process a until the bearing is fully packed. Place the dowel in the center and tap a few times with a hammer. Now add more wet TP to refill the packed hole, and tamp again with the dowel and hammer. After a few more repeats of the filling and tapping process, reposition the dowel in the bearing and give it a couple firm blows with the hammer. With each strike (usually three or four) you'll see the bearing move out of the end of the crank. Viola! Replace with a new bearing and resume whatever else you were doing that made you tackle this in the first place.

There are other tricks out there, but you can try these first. I have used the forst method on other cars, and the second I have heard of working. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ydubbs4
    started a topic Pilot Bearing Removal

Pilot Bearing Removal

Folks,

I am looking for crafty ideas on how to get the pilot bearing/felt washer/cover out without any of the nifty specialty tools (slide hammers, etc). Anyone developed a good way to do this with general run of the mill tools?

Will
Working...
X