X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Stock....

Turner J-Stock: F 450 / R 600

Group A : F 1000 lbs / R 675 lbs

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

how come the Gruppe A spring rate is stiffer in the front and softer in the rear and more or less all other spring setups that we as consumers can buy (Eibach, H&R, Turner...) are setup so that the rear springs are stiffer than the fronts.

What are the benefits of front being stiffer than rear? Why did Gruppe A cars do this?

Comment

God gave it to me, he says hi...

Group 'N' Springs
      F 690:::::::::::R1030
      F 915:::::::::::R1375
      F 1145:::::::::R1600

DO you want stiffer?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Unless you are going to spend around $1,600 and up on shocks then just get the revalved Bilsteins. Your spring rate seems very good already. If you want to bend the metal behind your shock towers so be it.
        I have found 2 ratings for stock. I do not know if either is correct, or if one was a euro standard, or if one was switched for the other during production dates?
        Please assume that these numbers have not been verified or rechecked. They are for conversation purposes and need to be researched.

Manufacturer

Front
        Rate (lbs)

Rear
        Rate (lbs)

Stock

Stock

Eibach
        Pro

(or 148?)

275-343

Eibach
        competition
        165 456

Dinan

H&R
        Street

H&R
        Group G

or 700 or 912

Comment

Gruppe A Rates

Gruppe A rates were softer in the rear because they ran true coil-overs, and the spring did not have to overcome the trailing arm "lever".

Brian
          Brian
          '88 Zinno (Racecar)
          '95 Hellrot (Streetcar)

Comment

good point. I never thought about it like that, but now it makes sense

Comment

Doh!!!

Sorry my newbie A$$ meant to post a reply to the J-Stock thread.

Wrong button:sosad: :sosad: :sosad:

Magnus, please go ahead and delete this thread.
              Brian
              '88 Zinno (Racecar)
              '95 Hellrot (Streetcar)

Comment

I hate when I do that too.

Comment

Rob,

How is your ride. I have 550F/450B and I hate it. It understeers, and feels like crap. I was thinking at first to go 550F and 650-700 out back, but everyone tells me on a street car, to leave the backs at 450, and change the fronts to 350-375. I am not sure. Let me know how your ride is.

Thanks,

Wes

Comment

I'm using 400 front and 600 rear and it is drivable for street, and handles very well with the tires i'm running.

If your having a problem with understear, you might want to change your tires especially if you have a staggared setup

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                    they are not idiots.

Comment

J Stock springs come in different rates. I have sent Turner an email asking for full specs of all their springs (J). Their site says from 200 to 900lbs. It is my understanding that J-stock spring rates are not limited, but free. They must be mounted in their origianl locations. The car must remain street legal

Since we're on the J-Stock topic, here's a few sites:

Here's a general BMW CCA from Sin City PDF
                      http://www.communitylink.koz.com/lvr...4436-41063.PDF

sites:
                      http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/2003...ules-final.htm <-2003 rules

http://www.bmwclub.ca/motorsport/articles/ccrart01.htm <-Article

Comment

Received an email from Doug at Turner.
                        > Can I get the specs on all of your E30 "J Stock" TMS Race
                        Springs?

"They are 680F, 1026R.

They drop the car about 2" F, 1.5" R."

Comment

My info....

I talked to Turner a few weeks back and they said their J Stock Bilsteins were revalved to ~686 F and ~1020 R. They also said that they use a Z3 shock in the back since it is shorter and is more apt to handle the abuse. I look forward to getting these in the next few months and finally installing my Grp N springs. My friend is using these springs and can you say "go-kart"? The ride is indeed stiff but the handling is flat-out insane, no pun intended...Rob mentioned the fact that after hard cornering, the back tends to swing out. I hope my 9" rears will prevent this from happening.
                          Last edited by em3emcee; 03-27-2003, 08:36 AM.
                          Justin T.

Comment

Yeah i had the J-stock TMS springs for a while with standard Bilstein sports.. my friend with a J-stock track car has the TMS springs but also with the stiffer shocks. his car is considerably stiffer than mine was when i had those springs. But in conjunction with 18's i couldn't stand the ride.. i ditched them after about 2 months. However, they were great for tire clearance since they were so stiff they didn't compress much.. my 255's never rubbed! But i'm back to H&R sports... couldn't take that jarring ride. Stuff starts falling apart in the interior!
                            Alex McHenry

Comment

I am jumping in late on this one

THere are a few good poiints made here that I will summarize for clarity.

What constitues a "street" spring is your ability to withstand the ride harshness. Everyone has a different level of tolerance for this.HOw often do you stop to piss?

You ABSOLUTELY want shocks that are spec'd to your application. Period end of story. Not enough compression or rebound control and you start to lose control.............not good

If you have a front spring rate that is higher than the rear you have developed one f***ed up suspension system there my friend and it will handle like a dump truck. (AKA an AUDI):evil:

You definitely want a spread of at least 300# front to rear on a stock configuration or you will not even be close to neutral. All suspension tuning should start w/ spring rate first. Sway bars are an auxilliary tuning item that should allow you to moderately tune to current track conditions or configuration.

Tire pressure is another key item that most people simply do not understand. Uneven widths and aspect ratio's will wreak havoc on the handling also despite the "cool" looks.

I run H&R sport fronts and 500# eibach rear race springs w/ stock bars and the the car is very easy to drive on the street and the track. Is it as quick as a JS car thru the corners? NAH but then again I can go 150 miles between rest stops also.

HOpe this sheds the light! :idea:

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X