reverse lights out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reverse lights out

wheres the switch for the reverse lights? What other possible problems?
    "A wolf in wolves clothing"
    Tiff Needell

The reverse switch is on the side of the transmission. I dont remember which side its on however. I think the replacement is cheap. Start with that first. You can try testing the switch with a test light or ohm meter. Just remeove it, press the ball in to activate the switch and look to see if you are flowing current. Otherwise check your fuses, bulbs etc. If everything checks out, get a wiring diagram and test each wire going to the lights. Its a pain, but in the end you should trace down the problem.

Comment

thanx...its a pita to reach it when the cars just up on a floor jack. Ill take it to my uncles shop and do it. Fuses and bulbs checked out good.
      "A wolf in wolves clothing"
      Tiff Needell

Comment

Yea, mine went out, but it isn't a problem with the switch. I've tested by jumping the wires at the shift boot, and the lights output nothing which tells me that it isn't a problem with the switch at the trans.

I've tested the lights, and I get now power to the reverse lights, so I am guessing that there is a broken wire somewhere, but I don't know where the wires run, so for now I've just forgotten about it. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?
        Bryan K.
        Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Same thing happened on mine , the switch was fine it was the wire where it goes thru the gear shift rubber boot ( under the leather one in the car ) The wire is folded over and because it is on the gear shift every time you shift gear it gets worn and although the wire wasn't broken on the outside you could feel the copper cable inside was broken as you could stretch it a little .
          This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Reverse light wires?

So My wires have been cut, I am going to put them back together and shrink wrap it back. My question is, There is a blue and a green wire does it matter which wire gos on what part of the switch? Are they interchangeable?

Comment

I believe the switch is on the left side of the transmission. It is kinda hard to reach, since it's on top of the tranny.

I had the same issue but it ended up being the switch AND the wire that goes from the switch to the lights.
              1988 BMW 325ix Touring (imported form Poland)
              1984 Audi Ur Quattro (imported from Canada)
              1976 Audi 80 GL (project)

Comment

Working...
              X