new M3 owner, cat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new M3 owner, cat question

Hello, I just picked up my first E30 M3 today. I've driven numerous E36's before but this is something completely different. Haven't had it long enough to decide which I like better, but we'll see soon :evil:

Anyway, the guy before me had some kind of Chevy exhaust put on with a rusted out magnaflow muffler. The catalytic converter (some aftermarket thing) is also cracked in the middle. There are like 5 different sized pieces of "custom" piping from the headers back.

What are the options for replacing the cat? Preferably cheap!

And are there any stainless catback exhausts for less than $500?

Thanks!
    1988 BMW M3 Sold
    1991 BMW M5

the factory one is in the 1200 range.

I think VSR makes a replacement cat, it's over $500, but much less than the stocker one.

you could also check out www.E30M3performance.com for a custom exhuast that could be made for less than $500.

I will warn you though, that web site will keep you for hours and hours

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

Comment

Bavarian Autosport has a Scorpion stainless steel cat-back muffler system for $450

BMP Design has a Supersprint painted steel cat-back muffler system for $465
      Last edited by TeamM3; 07-24-2004, 09:26 PM.
      A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Do you guys in the US need to keep the cat if it is was produced with it on? In the UK we arew able to ditch them off any car produced before 1993.
        Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
        E34 90 - M5

New BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

sigpic

Comment

Most states in the USA are starting to test for emissions. Visual inspections also come with these tests, thus requiring the use of cats.
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by 215m3
            Do you guys in the US need to keep the cat if it is was produced with it on? In the UK we arew able to ditch them off any car produced before 1993.

do you mean ditch as in putting on a more flow efficient one or ditch as in removing it entirely?
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I think that there is a loss in power partly due to my messed up cat. Is there any cheap but effective option for that? I want to spend the money elsewhere, you know.
              1988 BMW M3 Sold
              1991 BMW M5

Comment

Take come pictures of the system and post them if you can....maybe some of it isnt so bad and you cna just swap out the cat and the muffler for some nice highflow ones.

Comment

you could also check out www.E30M3performance.com for a custom exhuast that could be made for less than $500
                  Hate to be a party pooper, but trust me that system cost WAY more than $500. You couldn't build it for that even if you did all the fabrication yourself.

Comment

I could (excluding the Gp A header)

Burns charges waaaaay more than you can build the y-pipe for yourself, I work for a stainless fabricator and have access to a waterjet for the flange and we have more polished stainless tubing and mandrel bend fittings than you can shake a stick at :cool:

but FWIW, he was only asking for cat-back exhaust for under $500, not the cat system

you can buy aftermarket high flow cats for a reasonable $$$ cut & weld replacement, just :google: it
                    Last edited by TeamM3; 07-25-2004, 07:07 AM.

Comment

If you say your cats are messed up and you have all different sized "custom" piping for the center section, I would definitely go with the VSR center section, it's about $800 and you get a dyno tested piping and cat combo. It makes more power and will fix your piping AND cat problem. There are many options for a muffler...used would probably be your best bet if you are concerned with price. But do the cat and center section first.
                      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I could (excluding the Gp A header)
                        Well, alright.....but your situation isn't exactly normal now is it?..... :rolleyes:

I bet that "Y" pipe alone from Burns cost $250.00 or thereabouts....tack on $80.00 each for the "V-band" clamps....it gets expensive really fast. And mandrel bent systems require a lot of welds. Unless Gustave did the welding himself, I bet he spent at least $1500 on that system.

I gotta admit I'm jealous though. I wish I had access to the things that you do.....

Comment

just making sure: does running straight without a cat make you lose or gain back power?
                          1988 BMW M3 Sold
                          1991 BMW M5

Comment

back power?

running without a cat will most likely increase your peak hp(high end) while you will lose a little on the low end(torque)

Comment

Back pressure you mean?

Running without a cat will reduce back pressure which will give you a small high end HP boost... BUT you'll lose valuable TQ which obviously these cars are semi lacking in already.
                              Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Working...
                              X