muffler preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muffler preference

ive been looking to get a new muffler down the road, maybe even a full exhaust system, and was wondering, if any of you were to get an exhaust that was a no compromise performance oriented exhaust, what would you recommend? i have always liked the sound and straight through aspect of the stock muffler but ive worn out of this one far too quickly so im going to try something different (only lasted me 1 year oem from the factory). lets hear those suggestions!

looks better than it runs :/

If I didn't have to go through DEQ I'd go with straight pipes from the X pipe into a Borla. I have a Borla and it still looks like it's brand new.

Comment

I agree with Cone, most have the borla exhaust

you should go to the exhaust comparison section to listen to a few various exhausts.
      sigpic

Comment

I have just had Miltek stainless exhaust put on my Sport Evo and I am very pleased with it. Just the right volume (louder than a Supersprint, quieter than a Scorpion....which are aweful). These exhausts are brand new to the market, and I think they will dominate the UK market for E30 M3's from now on. It is a Y-pipe design like a group A car's. The manufacturers paid a lot of attention to the back pressure, and it said to be perfect. People have been getting useful power gains as a result.
        Powerstation sell it in the UK, or you could contact the makers.
        http://www.powerstation.org.uk (for pictures).
        No affiliation.
        John W
        1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
        1990 E30 M3
        http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Nick-NY
          I agree with Cone, most have the borla exhaust

you should go to the exhaust comparison section to listen to a few various exhausts.
          i have listned to that comparison 20 times and the stock one still sounds the most appealing to me. sound is not important to me, i am only interested in performance potential. not looking for bolt on gains, im looking for something that will breath with me while i slowly tune my car. so far the mintek seems to be the way to go. anybody know of a north american distributor and how i can contact them?

Comment

Try contacting them directly. It is a brand new exhaust I think.
            http://www.milltek.co.uk/
            John W
            1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
            1990 E30 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mazenz
              i have listned to that comparison 20 times and the stock one still sounds the most appealing to me. sound is not important to me, i am only interested in performance potential. not looking for bolt on gains, im looking for something that will breath with me while i slowly tune my car. so far the mintek seems to be the way to go. anybody know of a north american distributor and how i can contact them?
              The exhaust system is very efficient on the S14/E30M3. You will be hard pressed to find a better muffler than stock, until you go with larger header designs (which are only beneficial for M3's putting out massive HP), which would require custom exhausts.

Right now, I just want an exhuast system that properly mates to my 50mm secondary pipes on my sport evo headers. John, arre milltek's exhaust made for the larger sport evo headers, or the standard E30 M3???

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
              97 Porsche Carrera S
              13 Audi S6
              SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
              GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Re: muffler preference

Originally posted by mazenz
                i have always liked the sound and straight through aspect of the stock muffler but ive worn out of this one far too quickly...
                How many miles and years did the stock muffler have?

Comment

Re: Re: muffler preference

Originally posted by mp88m3
                  How many miles and years did the stock muffler have?
                  10k miles and about 2-2.5 years out of it.

"The exhaust system is very efficient on the S14/E30M3. You will be hard pressed to find a better muffler than stock, until you go with larger header designs (which are only beneficial for M3's putting out massive HP), which would require custom exhausts."

this i realise, and im not expecting to get bolt on gains. i am looking for something i can buy now as a replacement, with thought of the medium, long term. i plan on getting an alpha-N setup with larger throttle bodies and longer duration cams down the road and i dont want to have to ugrade AGAIN when that happens. plus something with a warranty would be nice too

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3
                    The exhaust system is very efficient on the S14/E30M3. You will be hard pressed to find a better muffler than stock, until you go with larger header designs (which are only beneficial for M3's putting out massive HP), which would require custom exhausts.

Right now, I just want an exhuast system that properly mates to my 50mm secondary pipes on my sport evo headers. John, arre milltek's exhaust made for the larger sport evo headers, or the standard E30 M3???
                    Unfortunatelty for me, the exhaust is designed for 2.3 models. The guys who fitted mine ground out the inside of the exhaust so it fitted with the larger Sport Evo manifold for better and uninterupted flow of exhaust gasses.
                    John W
                    1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
                    1990 E30 M3

Comment

My muffler ROCKS~!!!!

CXall James at Bimmerworld for a HIOP form Germany! All stainless w/ powdercoat black finish and big stainless straight tips! Not too loud and again a straight thru configuration.......Bolts right up like stock and off ya go. Throaty and deep not high and raspy sounding. I had stock B4 this and it does sound and look MUCH better.

I'll send a clip to MAgnus for the page.

Eric

Comment

Borla is the way to go!!! I have had one for three years now and I love it. The sound is awsome and has the performance of any top muffler out there.
                        HAllMAN3

Comment

Working...
                        X