f*cking little black spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f*cking little black spots

The back of my car is always covered in some tiny black spots. If I wash it off, within two days of driving those bloody spots are back. Spots come off pretty easy, but it's still damn annoying.
    Anyone aware of this issue?

exactly where on the back of your car are they? lower on the bumper? or near the trunk lid?

Comment

Sounds like exhaust soot to me. You'll just have to deal with it, its part of the cars character.

Comment

yup, I agree with Jess. I've got it too, although it's more like black dust spots.

Comment

if you have dtm tips on your exhaust you will get 10 times more black spots/soot on your rear bumper as opposed to straight tips.
          Old School

Comment

Black Soot

I have it too. You have to keep the rear bumper and boot lid clean and waxed.

Comment

Re: Black Soot

Originally posted by cdeason
              I have it too. You have to keep the rear bumper and boot lid clean and waxed.
              I agree. a well waxed bumper and trunk lid won't get dirty as fast and is easier to clean.

Comment

Tadts. unless you are using a well tuned Alpha-N management.
                m.

Comment

does your exhaust have DTM tips on it? I have straight tips on my Borla, and I never have that problem, if I remember correctly, it seems that mostly it's the guys with the DTM tips with that problem since it's spitting the exhaust up into the air

Comment

I have real DTM tips tucked up tight and close to the bumper. none of this
                    extended DTM wannabee tips that are supposed to keep bumper clean (j/k)

if its producing a lot of soot, then the motor is running too rich. most likely
                    idling too rich as well. its better to run leaner anyway.

John

Comment

Is there a cat on the car? Are there resonators on the car? These can help keep it down but if it is white it hopeless.

T

Comment

The PO installed a Supersprint DTM muffler, no black spots showing up on mine :shrug:
                        A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Damn I hate that black soot. I only drive mine once a week and When I let it idle for a few minutes it drops all over the ground. Could it be because of the chip in my car?

Comment

Stino, you should report the exact location of the spots.

If the spots are around your exhaust, the guys who previous replied are right.

If the spots are around the whole back of your car, and are kind of liquid, you should check your car for oil leaks. When you are driving with an oil leak the bottom of you car and the back gets wet. Ask me how I know !!!
                            Last edited by Carlo M3; 08-03-2004, 02:42 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

A little soot is normal, but it sounds like you might be running rich. I have a white one and after I got my engine tuned up (valved job, intake gaskets, spark plugs, distubuter cap and rotor) I had very little soot. Now that I put some miles on it I am getting more soot as it's not as well in tune. My mechanic also showed me an M3 that was running rich and there was much more soot covering the whole backside of his car.

It could also be how you drive it. If you take short drives (or maybe a long warmup at idle) that will produce much more soot as the engine is programed to run very rich during warm up. If you start it and go there will be less soot. HTH
                              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
                              X