How much for dogleg gearbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for dogleg gearbox?

Does anyone know where to shop for a dogleg euro gearbox? Average cost?

thanks
    Alex McHenry

Bimmerworld has a special on them right now for $1595 rebuilt w/ heavier duty bearings or something. This seems like a good price to me. I lucked into one of these gearboxes w/ a Euro car, people get $1500 for them all day I think and I have seen them as low as $800. So figure around $1000-1500 for one.
    Charley Terhune
    89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
    89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

dog legs

I paid 500 (UK) for a rebuilt close ratio box.

Unfortunately that quaiffe sequential 6 speed is for front wheel drive only.

There's a guy with another M2 that's bought a 6 speed from a Honda s2000 with a view to adapting it. Don't think he's made a start yet though..

Nick
      Nick Vyse
      M2 Touring
      (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

I got mine from germany for 1000 shipped...had 80000km on it...

Still sitting in my garage waiting for a running donor car...

ADA///M

Comment

Re: dog legs

Originally posted by nickvyse
          I paid 500 (UK) for a rebuilt close ratio box.

Unfortunately that quaiffe sequential 6 speed is for front wheel drive only.

There's a guy with another M2 that's bought a 6 speed from a Honda s2000 with a view to adapting it. Don't think he's made a start yet though..

Nick
          Aren't Honda S2000 gearboxes notorious for their inability to handle torque? The transmission is definitely suppose to be a weakpoint, but maybe its because you have to rev it to 6K to launch the thing.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
          97 Porsche Carrera S
          13 Audi S6
          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Aren't Honda S2000 gearboxes notorious for their inability to handle torque? The transmission is definitely suppose to be a weakpoint, but maybe its because you have to rev it to 6K to launch the thing.
            From my experiance (driven one once) and the many reviews I've read, the 6-speed on the S2000 is it's strong point. Effortless (non-notchy) short shifts. I haven't heard the torque problem before...but I'd like to know who makes that tranny...

-Prince
            Randall Prince's Used Cars
            1991 BMW 318is (slowly tearing apart to become a SpecE30 car)
            1995 BMW M3 (Cone eater. Probably going the way of an LS1 swapped XP car)

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceE30
              From my experiance (driven one once) and the many reviews I've read, the 6-speed on the S2000 is it's strong point. Effortless (non-notchy) short shifts. I haven't heard the torque problem before...but I'd like to know who makes that tranny...

-Prince
              I'm not talking about the shifting linkages or the extremely direct short throws that lets you row your shifts from first to sixth with only wrist movements. I'm talking about the strength and robustness of the transmissions internals. You can't beat a Honda or Acura for its shifting qualities. IMHO, they are the ones to beat.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
              97 Porsche Carrera S
              13 Audi S6
              SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
              GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

The S2000 box is fast and tight shifting. But it is not known for being bulletproof. It's an unusual design with an oil pump and drive reduction inside the box itself besides the 6 gears. Some reported troubles include crunching going into 2nd gear, clutch noise and pooping out of gear. Over in Europe something was changed as the boxes would overheat on very high speed highway trips. Numerous case of downshift overrevs but that seems to be driver related. The linkage is mostly inside the box.

They shift fast...around 0.25 seconds for a 1-2 shift versus around 0.4 seconds for me in the M3. That reduction in time directly cuts stuff like 0-60 times since you don't accelerate when not in gear.

Stan

Comment

Bimmerworld is selling a Euro Dogleg tranny: $1,595

https://secure1.nexternal.com/shared...&RowID=25&All=
                  -Han

Comment

Working...
                  X