What gas do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gas do you use?

There are several gas stations near me, like most everyone else . I generally use 3 of them MOBIL1 TEXACCO and my favorite SUNOCO 94.

petrol

Shell Optimax every time.
    Nick Vyse
    M2 Touring
    (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

FWIW the popular JC chip was tuned using Sunoco Ultra 94. Out West 91 is the max at the moment - be careful! (The USA rates octane by averaging the Research and Motor octane numbers)

Stan
      Last edited by Stan; 04-01-2003, 12:07 AM.

Comment

optimax..

optimax is rated as better than 98 octane - is 94 the best you buy iun the States?
        Nick Vyse
        M2 Touring
        (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

>>>optimax is rated as better than 98 octane - is 94 the best you buy iun the States?<<<

In the States, the highest pump gas Octane is 94. Sunoco's Ultra 94. Most is 92 and a few are 93 octane. In California the highest street fuel octane available at the moment is 91. Yikes!

Ultra 94 is called 94 octane here because the average of the Research Octane Number, RON (which is higher than 94) and the Motor Octane Number, MON (which is lower than 94) equals 94. Our pumps state octane as (R+M)/2 by law.

Your Optimax with a Research Octane of 98 might be about the same as our Ultra 94 IF you average the two octane numbers, or compare RONs!

Stan
          Last edited by Stan; 04-01-2003, 01:38 AM.

Comment

optimax

I can assure you I don't work for shell, although I am starting to think they should at least give me a tanks worth for the PR I'm giving them!

This is off their FAQ site:
            -------------------------
            What is the Octane level of Shell Optimax?
            Shell Optimax has the highest octane specification of any petrol in the UK. It is greater than 98 Research Octane Number (RON).
            -------------------------

Tests have raved about this fuel in the UK. Here's a link to their FAQ page:

Optimax FAQ page
            Nick Vyse
            M2 Touring
            (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

I read on Nowack's website (German tuner) that they dyno'd like 15 more WHP on their N500 M5 using Shell Optimax fuel over standard premium fuel un Europe. We need Optimax stateside!
              Alex McHenry

Comment

If possible Chevron, but also 76, and thats all I put into my babies. It doesnt help that over here our highest oct. is 91. :grr:

Comment

i use cheveron, petro canada, or mohawk 94 octane exclusively. nickvyse, you wont be able to convince any of the americans that there is merit in using the optimax 98 octane fuel for 2 reasons: a) when you tell them what the price per litre/gallon is, they will shit their pants and b) its simply not available at pump stations. i think you americans can find 94 octane at special sunoco race fuel suppliers though cant you? either way, americans complain way to much about their gas prices (and they have no reason not to) but they probably pay some of the cheapest prices in the world for their fuel. its generally of low quality i find though.

PS: this post was not meant to be an insult to americans or america in any way. it is just a statement of what i believe are the facts of this particular situation and how they apply to this thread.

PPS: i remember having a discussion with ryan gangemi (m3ryan) about conforti chips, and he said when he put one in his car it actually produced no gains and actually started pinging everywhere. when i put the chip in my car (same one from TMS) i noticed significantly more perkiness throughout the entire throttle and rpm range. ryans car is not out of tune and mine isnt in any better shape than his perse, it was directly related to the fact he used 91 octane california crap fuel and i used 94 octane canadian crap fuel. huge difference 3 octane can make.

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Working...
                  X