Repairable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairable ?

I took my non-cat ' big ' header of the car at the weekend due to a crack on the down pipes which was blowing, and also because of what I thought was a problem with one of the gaskets. This is actually what I found .

Welding around the outside of the flange looks to be a problem due to the proximity of the mounting holes . Any thoughts ?

This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Thats broken

Comment

thats had it get a new one

Comment

What the pic doesn't show to well , is that the pipe sits inside the flange and matches up perfect . Stick the flange on , and you can't even see the crack , which is why I was thinking welding the outside may save what is a desireable part .

I've already fitted a ' new ' header thanks to Markus , along with a Miltek stainless system .

Comment

a good welder could tig that nicely and it will be all better

Shes sold now :(

Comment

i dont see why it couldnt be fixed...like voodoo said...it just takes skill and some money...anythign is possible.

Comment

They'd just have to be sure to get the flange on the same plane as the other flanges so it isn't put under tension when installed.

Comment

Brian,
                I can weld it. When do you need it done? I can give you a cat-header if you are desperate to get the car back on the road.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Brian,

Shouldn't be any problem welding it. I suggest you bolt it up to either another header or a spare head so it doesn't wark when you weld just one of the four pipes.
                  Steve
                  Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3
                    Brian,
                    I can weld it. When do you need it done? I can give you a cat-header if you are desperate to get the car back on the road.

Thanks Uwe . I'll speak to you about this and the Eisenmann ,hopefully at the meet in Sussex . Markus got me a new header already , so the car is back on the road . Cheers Markus !

Comment

Brian,
                      That`s now totally scrap,you better chuck it(just make sure it`s in my direction)

Comment

bah, easily fixed.

weld it on the inside as original, then on the outside lay welds in the areas that won't interfere with the fasteners (that is how it should have been done from the beginning)
                        A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

If you start welding it, take care that all carbon deposit (fom the exhaust gas) is removed around the weld.
                          Otherwise it gets britle cose during welding the metal mixes up with the carbon.

Comment

Working...
                          X