Whistling Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistling Noise

I've just got back from a quick blast in the car and been reminded of somethings thats been bugging me for a while. At between 105 and 110 mph a loud high pitched ringing whislting sound starts, almost sounds electronic, but it does change tone a little with speed. Sounds like some kind of wind noise, seems to come from the dash or windscreen area (somewhere in front anyway).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

(obviously this 'blast' was not on a public highway because that would be illegal officer!)
    Last edited by caneswell; 09-03-2004, 12:11 PM.
    If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

No, but I have the exact same thing. It doesnt always happen mainly after a day at the track for a few days. Seems to come and go, but mine comes in at about 120kph.

Comment

This has been covered recently, I have the same thing.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ise+windshield

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...histling+noise
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

ever had the windsheild replaced? If it wasnt seated correctly, you can get this whistling from that. Next time try pressing on the windsheild and see if that changes the tone.
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Re: Whistling Noise

Originally posted by caneswell
          I've just got back from a quick blast in the car and been reminded of somethings thats been bugging me for a while. At between 105 and 110 mph a loud high pitched ringing whislting sound starts, almost sounds electronic, but it does change tone a little with speed. Sounds like some kind of wind noise, seems to come from the dash or windscreen area (somewhere in front anyway).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

(obviously this 'blast' was not on a public highway because that would be illegal officer!)
          You checked your mirrors, Right?:p
          m

Comment

I have the same thing that occurs at about 90+mph. Kind of scared me the first time I took the car up to speed. I almost thought it was a weird radar detector going off the first time.

Mine comes from the rear. I plan to use tape/finger caulk to cover the seams to locate the noise, but right now I'm concentrating on fixing a broken shift linkage.

Post your fix when you sort things out.

Comment

Mine does this too . I recently had a new screen , and it's made no difference at all . I'm sure mine is coming from the passenger side mirror area . I did find the door seal has come adrift from the frame . I've not replaced this yet , but hope this is what it is .
              This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Looks like a common E30 M3 problem. I can join this club either. It is really annoying !!!
                sigpic

Comment

Me too. After I had the rust fixed at the base of the windshield, I get a whistling sound at around 80 mph. If I press down on the top side of the windshield rubber, it stops temporarily.

It drives me crazy and I'll probably have the windshield re-installed.

Comment

Right found a nice empty dual carridgeway today and have now worked out where my noise is coming from. If i push the windscreen at the top behind te windscreen it stops. So will try some insulating tape around the seal. Is it the actual window bonding seal do you think or the rubber strip?
                    If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

The windscreen is a PITA in these things, but a skilled fitter should be able to do it. I had mine replaced twice due to stone chips. The first time it was replaced it started whistling soon afterwards (the previous screen also did this) so I had the garage that fitted it, remove it and refit it(it wasnt damaged when being removed amazingly). It was a bit better but again a few months down the line the whistling came back. Then came screen no3 - a due to a nice big crack appearing. I made sure I made the fitter aware of the problem and with his 18years experience (who`d want to fit screens for 18 year eh?) the problem never re-appeared.

1988 Evo II

2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X