Welp.. I'm pissed--Rubber Exhaust hanger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp.. I'm pissed--Rubber Exhaust hanger question

The exhaust was hanging in the middle of the car, so I had the muffler shop put two missing rubber donuts on hangers just before the axle.. 300 miles later, they broke. So I replaced them myself and ~2 months/200 miles later those broke(this time with two females in the car: :cool: --rolleyes:--> :sosad: )
    Again I replaced them but with self-modified thicker replacments....within 2 months they broke again. Clearly I'm using the wrong hangers but I can't seem to find anything better..... does anyone have some experiance with exhaust hangers that actual work.
    Thanks
    SteveZ
    SteveZ

sounds like your exhaust is bent or needs repositioning, it is obviously hanging too low and overstressing the donuts, you may need to tweak it upward some
    A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

You may have bad motor and tranny mounts, plus the brace that secures the headers to the bell housing is missing as well.
      The OEM rubber hangers are reinforced with fibre.
      m.

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
        You may have bad motor and tranny mounts, plus the brace that secures the headers to the bell housing is missing as well.
        Check this ASAP.
        This will very quickly cause your problems!
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
          The OEM rubber hangers are reinforced with fibre.
          m.
          Yes check this ASAP. I replaced my clutch a month ago. Im assuming the tranny mounts were as old as the car (although somewhere in the first 20k I got a DOT-R tranny) and had 95k on them. They looked like they could rip through at almost any time. The movement from the tranny and motor could cause these issues.

Comment

could someone....

maybe post a picture that shows the header to bellhousing mount? My car does not have it and i could not find that in the ETK. I'm not too worried about it since i put 7k miles on the setup as is but would not mind putting it on if it reliefes stress on the exhaust. I believe you can adjust the hight of those hangers for the rubber thingys @ the rear axle - maybe that would take some stress of them...as far as the female passengers go, i could take care of one of them - of course if that way the exhaust lasts longer...... ;-)
            GG

...aerodynamics is for people....
            that can't build engines.....

Comment

You must be missing the mount at the end of the muffler. On my car the hook for that one is broken off on the chassis. Being an E30 chassis they put hooks on the chassis to each side of the muffler for the 325's. I bought 325 muffler clamps with hooks and used those.

Comment

Originally posted by Luther Lowman
                You must be missing the mount at the end of the muffler. On my car the hook for that one is broken off on the chassis. Being an E30 chassis they put hooks on the chassis to each side of the muffler for the 325's. I bought 325 muffler clamps with hooks and used those.
                Good tip for a fix if the stock hanger in the back takes a crap.

Comment

To find the part numbers for the exhaust hanger that holds the manifold to the transmission, look in Group 18 Exhaust. There should be a diagram for the manifold. If this still doesn't work, look up 18 30 1 315 859. This is one of the brackets required, and is only used in this application.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                  X