steering rack rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering rack rebuild

I took my rack apart and got a repair kit from my friend who runs an independant BMW repair shop. Only half the seals and 2 of the O rings were right so I think I got the wrong kit. Can someone tell me if part # 32-13-1-132-798 is the right #. I tried to get the other seals from a local bearing supply but they really are a bastard size.

That's the part number for the E30 rack repair kit, but the M3 rack is different.

I'm not aware of a repair kit for the M3 rack and the ETK shows that none are available. But someone has to have one as lots of people have sent their racks out for rebuilds. You could try giving these guys a call. http://www.bmwracks.com/
    Good luck

Comment

Acording to the ETK this is the numbers:
      * 32 13 1 132 798(repair kit) + 32 13 1 132 799(mount kit)

You'll need both these parts!

I started rebuilding mine about 3-months ago... but due to some problems with it i ended up just buying a rebuilt one from BMW.. And i'll take care of the old one at a later time.. Probberly going to throw it on my 318is..

I had some problems with getting the steering spindle out as the bearing has a very tight fit..

You can see pictures of my headache on:
      www.cecotto.dk

if you managed to figure this out please give me some hints..

Magnus.. You might consider merging this thread with the one i started about this ... Then nobody will get into trouble starting too many new threads about the same again.. ;-)

best regards

Otto
      Steffen Otto Jensen
      จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
      1989 318is
      1989 M3 Cecotto (196/505)
      www.cecotto.dk

Comment

the images i refered to is here:
        http://missekattene.users.whitehat.d...ackProblem.htm
        :-)
        Steffen Otto Jensen
        จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
        1989 318is
        www.cecotto.dk

Comment

To get the spindle out I made a U out of some thick aluminum wire. I put that on the pinch bolt groove on the splined end and clamped vise grips over it. I tapped on the vise grips with a hammer and the bearing came out pretty easily. I had to use the vise grips on the banjo bolts also as the 6mm hex was nowhere near strong enough by itself. So do you have any idea what the 32 13 1 132 799 mount kit consists of?

Comment

Tanks for the tip. I has been planning on doing something similar..

You can see an image of the .799 kit here now:
            http://www.cecotto.dk/images/rack/

I also miss something in the repair kit... What i'm thinking is that i'll just buy another kit and take whats missing from this.. It looks like it's the nylon rings i'm missing a couple of...
            Steffen Otto Jensen
            จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
            1989 318is
            www.cecotto.dk

Comment

Working...
            X