Another one bites the dust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one bites the dust...

Pictures and story to be posted in a little bit... the short story is that coolant and rear tires don't mix at the track.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Oh no. Hope everyone is ok. Sorry to hear Kev.

Comment

:sosad: :sosad:
      Salvageable?
      *crosses fingers*

Best of luck Kevin...
      CL
      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Oh man, sorry to hear Kev. Glad you're okay.
        1988 M3
        2012 335is
        1993 Civic Si

Comment

:( Glad to hear you're ok Kev. I'm under the impression it was a little more serious than you're letting on. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Comment

That`s some bad news Kev. Hope you are OK.
            sigpic

Comment

Thats it.. I'm never posting on this web-site again.. One car goes down, we all go down. :(

I am glad though that you are okay since you are posting here...

Comment

Like everyone else has said, at least you are in one piece, which is the most important part.
                Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBM3
                  Hmm... I am guessing turn 2 ? :sosad:
                  Well...

The story goes like this...

I spent Friday and Saturday lapping Mosport about as fast as can be done in my M3. MY instructor was extremely pleased and I spent most of the time lapping solo.

On Saturday afternoon my heater core blew up and dump coolant in the glovebox and all over the passenger floor. Luckily I was alone at the time and nobody got hurt.

So I scrambled, and used a piece of pipe to by-pass the heater core. I returned to the track this morning, double checked everything and bled the cooling system. Everything was looking good.

The instructor and I went out again. I usually take 3 laps or so to make sure that the tires, oil and brakes are warm. This day was no exception. So on the third lap after braking for corner 8 and entering at around 140km/h (on hot laps the entry speed is ~170km/h), the rear end broke loose. With 2 corrections I was able to save the car and get back on line. At this point the instructor was complementing the save and we were begining to make the assumption that the tires must still be cold which is really odd for lap 3.

So I decided to take it a little easier and braked a little harder for corner 9. Just as I started my turn-in while feathering the throttle, the rear end came around 135deg. and we shot off the track. The passenger side front hit the wall at 80-100km/h and the passenger side rear came around and hit the wall too.

The conclusion that we came to was that the heater core still had some coolant in it and upon some heavier braking, it dumped coolant which ended up spraying all over the rear tires.

My instructor said that it definitely wasn't a driving error and based on the way that the rear end snapped around, there was nothing we could do but enjoy the ride.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

oh crap, kev. sorry to hear that.

now i see why the bmwcca strongly advises using plain water instead of coolant for club racing.
                    -Han

Comment

sorry to hear that :sosad: glad you are ok!
                      I always use distilled water (with water wetter added in ) at the track.
                      Cars are replaceble, our health is not!

Comment

sad to hear man i def say use water to anyone who tracks, did it dump alot out on the track?
                        at least she went happy, at the track

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Hi Kev.

Glad to hear you are OK. Guess the instructor had the ride of his life:-) Was the damage just cosmetic or did you get into the mechanical bits? Need any help, let me know.
                          1990 M3
                          1991 318is
                          1994 325is
                          2004 Kia Sorento

Comment

Everytime I build up enough courage to take the M down to Buttonwillow or Willow Springs, once in tip top shape of course, I hear horror stories of something like this happening to even the best of drivers. It chills me down to the core to think in the blink of an eye a pristine example of Motorsport history could get smashed up and rendered crusher fodder.

Like vodomagoo said, at least she went out happy at the track, hopefully it's more cosmetic that frame and everything lines up.

I'm about 1 more accident post away from sealing up the E30 in a bubble and building a nuclear fallout shelter for it, john, you better not EVER post one of these threads! :cry:
                            Last edited by Highrever; 09-12-2004, 06:22 PM.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

Kav

Glad to hear your ok, sorry about the car though. At the Ring this year a 2.7 alpina 325 came in to Ring Racing while i was there. He was leaking coolant, but did not know until he was flagged. The coolant had oil mixed in with it, but his oil was ok. His car was fine but 2 bikers came off. With the oil mixed in it would make the traction almost 0%.

Later
                              Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
                              E34 90 - M5

New BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X