Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Another one bites the dust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vodomagoo
    replied
    sad to hear man i def say use water to anyone who tracks, did it dump alot out on the track?
    at least she went happy, at the track

Leave a comment:

• vlad
    replied
    sorry to hear that :sosad: glad you are ok!
    I always use distilled water (with water wetter added in ) at the track.
    Cars are replaceble, our health is not!

Leave a comment:

• H a n
    replied
    oh crap, kev. sorry to hear that.

now i see why the bmwcca strongly advises using plain water instead of coolant for club racing.

Leave a comment:

• M3NTAL Kev
    replied
    Originally posted by ROBM3
    Hmm... I am guessing turn 2 ? :sosad:
    Well...

The story goes like this...

I spent Friday and Saturday lapping Mosport about as fast as can be done in my M3. MY instructor was extremely pleased and I spent most of the time lapping solo.

On Saturday afternoon my heater core blew up and dump coolant in the glovebox and all over the passenger floor. Luckily I was alone at the time and nobody got hurt.

So I scrambled, and used a piece of pipe to by-pass the heater core. I returned to the track this morning, double checked everything and bled the cooling system. Everything was looking good.

The instructor and I went out again. I usually take 3 laps or so to make sure that the tires, oil and brakes are warm. This day was no exception. So on the third lap after braking for corner 8 and entering at around 140km/h (on hot laps the entry speed is ~170km/h), the rear end broke loose. With 2 corrections I was able to save the car and get back on line. At this point the instructor was complementing the save and we were begining to make the assumption that the tires must still be cold which is really odd for lap 3.

So I decided to take it a little easier and braked a little harder for corner 9. Just as I started my turn-in while feathering the throttle, the rear end came around 135deg. and we shot off the track. The passenger side front hit the wall at 80-100km/h and the passenger side rear came around and hit the wall too.

The conclusion that we came to was that the heater core still had some coolant in it and upon some heavier braking, it dumped coolant which ended up spraying all over the rear tires.

My instructor said that it definitely wasn't a driving error and based on the way that the rear end snapped around, there was nothing we could do but enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• ydubbs4
    replied
    Like everyone else has said, at least you are in one piece, which is the most important part.

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian3
    replied
    Thats it.. I'm never posting on this web-site again.. One car goes down, we all go down. :(

I am glad though that you are okay since you are posting here...

Leave a comment:

• Carlo M3
    replied
    That`s some bad news Kev. Hope you are OK.

Leave a comment:

• Mick
    replied
    :( Glad to hear you're ok Kev. I'm under the impression it was a little more serious than you're letting on. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• Steve88M3
    replied
    Oh man, sorry to hear Kev. Glad you're okay.

Leave a comment:

• UNHCLL
    replied
    :sosad: :sosad:
    Salvageable?
    *crosses fingers*

Best of luck Kevin...
    CL

Leave a comment:

• OZM3
    replied
    Oh no. Hope everyone is ok. Sorry to hear Kev.

Leave a comment:

• M3NTAL Kev
    started a topic Another one bites the dust...

Another one bites the dust...

Pictures and story to be posted in a little bit... the short story is that coolant and rear tires don't mix at the track.
Working...
X