Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best handling setup?

Hi guy's,
    I am new to the forum, and i just purchased my M3. I would like to know what kind of suspension should i use for maximum performance (money isn't an issue). What do you guy's recommened for ( coilovers, sway bars, etc...) anything realted to handling.

Thanks alot,
    Basim

Copy what a gruppe A/DTM car used.

Yes you will want coilovers and sway bars(cockpit adjustable motorsport ones would be nice)

With money not an option....this could get pricey.

Comment

Basim,welcome to the forum. There are a couple of us in Long Beach that i know of; myself and AdamF 88iS.

Ada///m is right. This can get expensive. You should decide whether this is going to be a track-only car; the purpose will determine the application.

Comment

It's worth using the search function as I'm sure there have been loads of threads in the past regarding suspension setups and the pros and cons.

All will have some compromises involved. If cost is no option, then I agree that a group A/copy setup is probably the way to go - BMW Motorsport will have spent millions of Deutchmark developing suspension parts for the various race series during the late 80's and early 90's.

If it's a road car, most of you stateside folk seem to swear by Ground Control.

If your car is for the road then first off I would recommend getting it back to as-new by replacing all bushes etc and getting a set of matched springs/dampers from people like Bilstein/Koni/Eibach to name but a few.

Remember that the youngest of our cars are 13 years old and anything rubber will have deteriorated in that time - irrespective of mileage corevered.

Welcome to the forum and E30 M3 ownership - there are some seriously knowledgeable folk on this forum and you can guarantee that whatever mod you are looking at, someone on here either developed it or has used it!!
        Steve
        Scottish Cecotto

Comment

maximum performance under what conditions?
          road surface constuction/materials?
          smooth roads?
          bumpy roads?
          cambered roads?
          Driver comfort also plays a large part in being able to extract maximum performance out of a particular set up.

maximum performance under one set of conditions could be less than satisfactory in another.

m.

Comment

tms j-stock springs/shocks
            ie swaybars
            poly bushes
            gc or ie camber plates

that would do you pretty good. its streetable and will be quick for a non-pro driver.

Comment

I agree with Bijan!

If you want something on the 'less' expensive side with out having to corner weight your car to really set it up...

Comment

Thanks guy's for your help. I'm actually looking for a setup that could be used for the street and track. I apreciate all the help again. I fell in love with this car long time ago and now its finally here..

Thanks,
                Basim

Comment

Call Leda and tell them what you'll be using the car for.

Comment

Originally posted by BasiM3
                    Thanks guy's for your help. I'm actually looking for a setup that could be used for the street and track. I apreciate all the help again. I fell in love with this car long time ago and now its finally here..

Thanks,
                    Basim
                    Right.
                    now... How stiff is the car going to get?
                    Are you going to be carrying passengers?
                    Big wheels and tires?
                    How stiff can you tolerate? You won't be max stiff as you'll see different road types and different weather.
                    The lower you go, the stiffer the car has to be, plus you'll need more camber correction on the front and install an adjustable kit on the rear. You'll need the camber correction stuff to tune between track and street. Too much stiffness and static camber will make the car handle poorly in the wet.

m.

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ght=suspension
                      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve88M3
                        Call Leda and tell them what you'll be using the car for.
                        After I have a motor for my car Im doing just this. 24-way double adjustable coilovers for under $2000.

Comment

Call Jay Morris at Ground Control. Explain what type of track/auto-x you will be doing. He will set you up with recommendations on spring rates, and damper valving. You can get a great Koni SA/Eibach package, sways, camber plates for around $1600.

If you want better dampers, you might inquire about Advance Design (at Ground Control). They are double adjustable for only $399, per corner. They are custom valved to your specfic needs, not off the shelf type of dampers.

I have used Jay's set up on my driver/Auto-x with great success. Great service as well.

Btw, if you are going to take the time to buy new suspension components, have your car corner weighted and a competition alignment. Corner weights and alignment can make a hugh difference within themselves.
                          Last edited by M3inStockton; 09-15-2004, 11:40 AM.
                          Russ
                          SCCA SFR - Sacramento Chapter
                          New Competitor Coordinator
                          #3 F-Prepared RX7

Comment

Originally posted by M3inStockton

Btw, if you are going to take the time to buy new suspension components, have your car corner weighted and a competition alignment. Corner weights and alignment can make a hugh difference within themselves.
                            this is good advice not enough people give or take.

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Working...
                            X