Out of state purchase in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state purchase in California

I recently took delivery of my '88 M3. It was shipped from the east coast. I went to the DMV (aka hells armpit) and everything went ok until they said that the vechicle needs to be inspected. I didn't have the car with me. But I'm worried. Should I be? It passed smog, so am I tripping out? Does anyone know what these inspections consist of? Thanks in advance.

a very nervous

-Jorge

Inspection or VIN verification?

I think to register out of state vehicles in CA, you will need to bring the car in for them to look and verify the VIN on the car.

You can get all these things done at AAA if you are a member. I am also very skeptical about DMV. That's why I get everything done through AAA office. They are extremely knowledgeable. They work on behalf of AAA members... they are on your side Not DMV and will often suggest things to help you out. Plus, there's less of a wait.

Jim
    Last edited by M3USA; 09-14-2004, 08:02 AM.

Comment

You are in for a surprise!

If you buy a car from out of state and bring it in within 3 months or less, you will have to pay some sort of penalty and of course, all the usual inspection AND the visual inspection at the DMV.

I went through all that for my Tacoma truck which I bought from Colorado.

Comment

I am a member of AAA, but they can't help me when you buy a car from a dealer. One of my tail lights went out now. I should get that fix first. So I shouldn't have a problem?

Comment

Re: You are in for a surprise!

Originally posted by //Mous3
          If you buy a car from out of state and bring it in within 3 months or less, you will have to pay some sort of penalty and of course, all the usual inspection AND the visual inspection at the DMV.

I went through all that for my Tacoma truck which I bought from Colorado.
          Penalty if you bring it in within 3 months? Is it better to wait after 3 months or is that a typo?

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

Relax. Take a deep breat. Count to 10.

That penalty is only on NEW cars ONLY. You don't have to pay anything except registration fees, use tax, etc.

The inspection is simple. They verify that the VINs match in various places, and they check the EPA emissions certifications on the driver's side door jamb and the ones in the engine bay. That's it. It's just paperwork, it's visual, it doesn't involve anything technical.

-chris
            -chris
            If toves are slithy, they do not gimble.

Comment

And the penalty isn't fees. According the the DMV home page:

California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired.

Used vehicles don't count.

Here is the info on what you need to register your M3:

You will need to:

-Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
              -Submit the out-of-state title signed by the seller
              -Provide an odometer mileage certification signed by both you (the buyer) and the seller
              -Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
              -Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (for your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV)
              -Pay the fees

Congratulations on your purchase!
              Last edited by chriszap; 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM.
              -chris

Comment

THANKS GUYS! I'm more relaxed now. It's that my brother bought a grey market Ferrari F355 a year ago and the DMV had it impounded. I know these cars are not grey market or anything in that nature, but that experience sticks to you and I was affraid of the same results. I know it's not going to happen, but sometimes I think you have to hear from a dozen people to believe it. Thanks again fellas! In case you're wondering, it's cinnabar red with black interior and it has 60K miles. Later!

Comment

Wow. Where did you find that car? And dare I ask what you got it for?
                  -chris

Comment

$13.5 One owner. Never molested. All records. Bone stock!

Comment

Originally posted by E30M3J
                      $13.5 One owner. Never molested. All records. Bone stock!
                      Damn.....nice find. Get some pics posted of it. Congrats on the purchase

Jon
                      I will own an E30 M3....someday.

Comment

I hope Chris is right!

Originally posted by chriszap
                        Relax. Take a deep breat. Count to 10.

That penalty is only on NEW cars ONLY. You don't have to pay anything except registration fees, use tax, etc.

-chris
                        Okay Chris! If you are correct, there must be 2 things that happened since I bought my truck;

1) The regulations have changed
                        2) Because my car was a truck hence a "Commercial" vehicle.

Because my car was a used Toyota Tacoma bought from Big Horn Toyota in Colorado. I paid like $19K for the truck and there was close to $900 for that penalty. I was told specifically that if you buy an out-of-state car and bring it into CA right-away you will be charged with penalty. I remember, she was African-American (mind you!) lady with finger-nails longer than the fingers; oakaiiiii?

The only way out is, you get registered under your name in the State of origin. I think that the reason is, who else but the Uncle Sam who wants the sales Tax!

I am going to pray every night until Jorge got his car CA plates with no penalty.

***Please GOD; please let Chris be right even if just one time.***
                        Last edited by ///Mous3; 09-14-2004, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I bought my 92 525iT in south carolina and drove it home to CA, they went outside to look at the char and check the vin but nothing else.

my father used to train all the new bus drivers for the local city bus facility... so he know's quite a few people at the DMV (funny how they seam to have a low turn over rate there even though that job must suck pretty bad) so I got in and out pretty quick.

I don't have many cool connections like that, but that one is definetly worth it.

I wonder how many suicides have happened at the dmv?:huh:

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                          they are not idiots.

Comment

CA import

Well, let me shed some light on the "penalty" for out of state cars. There was a $300 Dollar (+tax) Smog fee for out of state cars if they where not made to california specs coming into the sunny state which has been eliminated some 2 years ago. The ones, lucky like me who paid that could however claim it back and got a refund. The other issue is sales tax. That is where it gets complicated, somewhat. For once, when you buy from private or out of state they want the sales tax unless you bought it out of state and paid sales tax then they want the difference if the out of state tax was lower than the area where you live in unless of course you owned the car longer than 3 months out of state and can prove that you where RESIDENT there. You guessed right, if you paid more tax you wont get any back..... On top, is of course the reg and title fee + taxes etc. On the Inspection issue, yes they just verify the VIN in TWO places vs. the title. The SMOG is another treatment we get from the officials we elected!!!! The real stupid thing is that you have to go to the DMV FIRST to get the paperwork that allows the smogstation to run your test and then have to get back to deliver all the completed paperwork. Round and round it goes.... Happy waiting. Oh ja, you could make an online appointment - however most times it is so far out that you will miss all deadlines and you either cheat on the dates or pay the penaltys.....

Welcome to Califonia - that is what the DMV lady said to me after taking a 990 $ Check for one car..........
                            GG

...aerodynamics is for people....
                            that can't build engines.....

Comment

Re: CA import

Originally posted by GGranello
                              The other issue is sales tax. That is where it gets complicated, somewhat.

Welcome to Califonia - that is what the DMV lady said to me after taking a 990 $ Check for one car..........
                              You SEE?!?!?!?!

I was right the entire time. It will be the tax that gets you! I know I didn't pay any sales tax in Texas for my car and it will come back at the time of registration here in Cali.

Comment

Working...
                              X