Super sprint center section owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super sprint center section owners

Ok I got my SS center section today and was just wondering if I install it with my current straight pipes, is it going to fail for SURE? or is there a slight chance of passing CA smog. I say this because i REALLY dont feel like swapping it every 2 years with the cat. Are there any SS center section owners out there willing to share on this, and if possible show the graph.

OK thanks in advance

- Ara
    Last edited by Ara; 09-14-2004, 06:42 PM.
    -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

come on ANYONE?????
    -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

I have the SS center section, and I doubt i'll pass smog, but then again i'm in the 2.5 crowd, a top tuned 2.3 would probably have a slim chance

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

A friend has to do the swap every year (not CA). Once you do it a few times it is a very simple 30 minute procedure.

Unless you have recently done a complete tune up I highly doubt you will pass. Well you could do a complete tuneup every 2 years I suppose.

Comment

i recently changed the distributor cap and rotor...cleaned out my K & N.....spark plugs have 9K on em.....wires have 11K on em...new tires ( 5K) oil change flush a week ago....but i have a Dinan stage 2 chip and no muffler ( PO took it off )

OK having mentioned that.....what are my chances??

thanks again for the reponses

- Ara
          -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

Probably not too good of chances at all...especially with that chip....

But people have passed with full out 2.5's and no cats....its all about proper tuning.

You're worried about changing your center section every two years? It only takes maybe 30 minutes at most....I've removed and re-installed or swapped mine at least 6 or 7 times in the last year...if not more.

Its Cake....4 bolts and two muffler clamps.

Comment

You will fail no matter what the tailpipe emissions are.

There is a visual cat check the inspector must perform in CA, so unless he does the inspection improperly you are out of luck.

I also doubt that you will meet all the standards anyway without cats. CA has tougher cutpoints than other states.

FYI, there is talk/rumors about making Smog Check annual for vehicles 15 years or older in CA. Im betting it will go through within the next year or two.

Really it only takes about 15-20 minutes to get the exhaust off anyway.

If you really dont want to change the exhaust, just install some good high flow cats in there. They dont rob you of too much power and you are helping the environment at the same time. Plus you dont have to smell that raw exhaust all the time.

My $.02 anyway (Slightly bias since I am a environmental/mechanical engineer)

Comment

AWSOME!!!!!!!! thatnks guys for the help

- Ara
                -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

I am running SS mids on mine in CA. I simply swap the stock mid section when I need to smog. Pass every time, without hassle or worry.
                  Russ
                  SCCA SFR - Sacramento Chapter
                  New Competitor Coordinator
                  #3 F-Prepared RX7

Comment

Working...
                  X