m3 with some history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m3 with some history

I found a nice clean 88 m3 with plenty of maintenance records and some light mods. The car has a 120 k on it.

However… it has a DOT replacement hood and the Autocheck report shows a couple of fender benders (Carfax shows nothing btw). As far as anyone can tell the car tight and was repaired correctly. All the panels line up and everything is copasetic. Should I take this car seriously? The asking price is $11,800.

Please, I'm just looking for some opinions. I'm worried about the resale value if I ever needed to sell the car. TIA

Since it has a history, i would say the price is too high. but it all depends on you. some people are perfectly fine with a car that's had some accidents, but others would never buy anything with an accident.

if youre serious about it, get it checked out first to make sure theres no other damage that you might not be able to see.

Comment

I also would agree the price is too high. no salvage title im assuming but still, like you said, resale could be an issue.

Comment

Never buy a car for resale value that could run you anywhere from $300 - $10,000 to fix and maintain in any year. I'd worry about any car that is 16 years old.

I agree that since it does have a history it will get you less than what you may have paid.

Get the car looked over....

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
          [B]Never buy a car for resale value that could run you anywhere from $300 - $10,000 to fix and maintain in any year...[B]
          I follow you, but I'm not purchasing an investment. It's a toy... I'd like the ability to dump the toy if cash flow ever does become an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

get it checked out to make sure the rest of the car is ok.

there is nothing wrong with a couple DOT-R panels though, unless you are dead set on getting a garage queen.
            -Han

Comment

well, if you say you might sell the car if you need money, that might be a big problem later on. it's hard to find people who are willing to buy a car with some history. and you wont get that much for it either.

when i was shopping for my car, i looked at a car that had 120k miles, and had a recent rebuild. interior was ok. but the car had a title and had the front fenders replaced. the frame looked fine though. the guy said he had been trying to sell the car for over 3 months and had dropped his price to 6k. im sure he eventually sold it, but you could tell he was getting a bit desperate at the end.

just keep it in mind and know what youre getting into.

Comment

out of curiosity from this side of the Atlantic: does DOT-R mean Department of Transport-Replacement panel? If so, why? What's the idea behind the name, i.e. what has the Dep o Transport to do with it?
                I understand that its goal is to make it easier to identify replaced panels and accident damage.

Over here there is no 'VIN-ing' of any body panel so one has to look for other clues of accident damage/replaced panels

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer
                  out of curiosity from this side of the Atlantic: does DOT-R mean Department of Transport-Replacement panel? If so, why? What's the idea behind the name, i.e. what has the Dep o Transport to do with it?
                  I understand that its goal is to make it easier to identify replaced panels and accident damage.

Yes, it denotes that the part has been replaced, and that the part meets the safety standards of the DOT (vs being a shoddier part than the original).

Comment

Working...
                  X