help drive shaft broke and ripped out linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help drive shaft broke and ripped out linkage

i was driving into work this morning and my drive shaft broke and ripped out the shift linkage. can someone give me a ball park on how much this will run. and i just ordered this weekend a guibo and center bearing

thanks
    kramer
    I miss my ///M3

I thought you knew the guibo was shot...why were you still driving on it?

Anyway...where did it "rip"? Is the driveshaft still ok?

Where did the shift linkage brake?

Is it the shift rod? or the support that holds the shifter ball?
    If its just the rod thasts damaged you can replace it yourself for about 20 bucks...a little more for a nice wieghted rod from Rogue Engineering...it should onyl take 15 minutes to install...i've done a few.

If its the support that holds the shifter ball...you're looking a lot of labor...ask Chris F. about replacing that.

Time for a shortshifter while your at it. Z3 1.9L shifter.

Its all easy to do stuff...nothign too major at all...i wouldnt be worried...

ADA///M

Comment

i had to go to work and i ordered everything this weekend. i need all new linkage. i found my shifter linkage laying under my car. it looks pretty bad.

thanks
      kramer
      I miss my ///M3

Comment

ummm...what do you mean by shift linkage? Is anythig else messed up?

ADA///M

Comment

when you look where your shifter should be you see the drive shaft and the road.
          I miss my ///M3

Comment

Then your shit is fucked up...

You need a new carrier....and new selector rod...at the minimum...

Hopefully the mounting poitns for teh carrier arent fucked...and hopefully the attachement points for the selector rod arent fucked up and hopefully the linkages and forks inside teh tranny arent fucked up...

You wont know till you get it in the air...

ADA///M

Comment

so basically it looks like i need a new trans now. the guy didnt put it in the air yet but he said that part of the trans came off. they are closed now but im going to try to get to the bottom of what exactly it needs.

thanks Ada///m

kramer
              I miss my ///M3

Comment

>>so basically it looks like i need a new trans now. the guy didnt put it in the air yet but he said that part of the trans came off. they are closed now but im going to try to get to the bottom of what exactly it needs.thanks Ada///m<<

Maybe the tranny part of the situation just needs a new output flange. It's the three legged thing that bolts into the tranny itself. Change the output seal while you're in there. You'll need a thin walled deep socket for the flange nut. Make sure the driveshaft center bearing is preloaded forward. Try to use the firmer and stronger E34 M5 Guibo while you're in there. The same one is used on the present M5, so it's mighty strong. It's thicker than the stock Guibo, but the driveshaft flanges can accommodate the difference. If the driveshaft has to come aprt, make sure you mark it so that it can stay balanced when it's reassembled.

Stan
                Last edited by Stan; 04-08-2003, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X