Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Start Problems

Hello

Until the last week or so my car has always started first time everytime, wotever the temperature or time it had been standing. But all of a sudden it has become a real bitch to start when cold. And once it finally does go, it coughs and spluters and farts for a few minutes. Also i have noticed that whilst its doing this the rev counter seems to not quite work properly, it sort of struggles to keep up? And i have to tickle the throttle to get it to rev without stalling. Once warm it is fine and will stop and restart with no problems. Since it started doing this I have swithed the ecu back to the 95 RON setting and have the same problem. Any ideas, i realise it could probably be a lot of things, but what seems more likely?

Thanks
    If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

the coolant temp sensor (not switch) with the blue plug is responsible for cold enrichment and normal fuel mixture control.
    Disconnect the harness and attach a DVOM to the sensor terminals.
    You want to see 2.5kohms @ 20*C or 68*F. coolant temp.
    You want to see 218 ohms at 90*C 194*F coolant temp.

If you don't see the first reading cold, then the sensor is knackered.
    You will also have a hart to start conditions with cooler weather if the Cap, rotor and wires are failing.
    m.
    Last edited by Mmark; 09-17-2004, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that. I tried the connectors with a DVOM and it gave a 2.8k ohm value at ambient temperature. So i gues thats not the problem.

We found that one of the fuel lines that connects to the back of the fuel rail wasn't a great seal and was leaking a bit so maybe after a long stand it could drain the rail?? Not sure but have changed the jubilee clip and will see if that helps.

Thanks

Comment

Change the line as well ASAP actually , yesterday. If the clip failed, it may be due to the rubber shrinking and hardening. You don't want to burst that line all over a hot engine. It is too dangerous to drive without a new fuel line .
        that lack of seal would cost you the system pressure and introduce air... so it could well be the problem.
        m.

Comment

Yeah that sems to have cured it. Which is nice! will try and sort out the line asap.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
          X