Help replacing alternator belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help replacing alternator belt?

My chilton's doesn't specify the best way to replace my alternator belt. Can someone help me out?

gotta take the fan clutch off if I remember right, then you loosen the alt slider nut till it's loose enough to take off, you'll need a thin, or stamped 32 mm wrench to remove the fan clutch, it's also REVERSE thread on the fan clutch.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

You can do it w/o taking the fan clutch off. just slip it arounf the fan.
      2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
      1995 Porsche 993
      2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
      2004 Ford F-150 FX4
      2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
      1985 BMW M635CSI
      2001 BMW M3
      1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Yeah, I already knew I could slip it around the fan blades. However, how do I get it around the first belt?

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Gotta take off the first belt - no way around that. You usually want to replace all three at once - they're cheap
          2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
          1995 Porsche 993
          2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
          2004 Ford F-150 FX4
          2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
          1985 BMW M635CSI
          2001 BMW M3
          1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

While your replacing the belt.. check the alternator bolts and brackets. Since the M3 is a buzzer engine, some bolts don't last or crack under the stress. Also check your alternator's bushings for signs of wear.

Comment

I've got new bushings for the alternator ready to install. How do I remove the first belt though? I don't see a tensioner anywhere (unless I'm blind). Do I need to take off on of the pulleys?

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

Remove the afm. You will see the power steering pump and the alternator. Remove the alternator bracket and alternator it self. You will need to do this anyhow to replace the bushings.

It's pretty much, losen the brackets, remove belts, install new belts, tighten brackets.

Comment

Well, do I need to remove the crankshaft hub to replace the belt or is there a way to replace the belts without taking it off? I've replaced my alternator before so that's no problem. It's the belt that's got me worried.

Comment

if you have replaced the alternator then you should know how to replace the belt. i guess i don't understnad why it is so difficult. You don't need to remove the crankshaft hub. You just loosen the adjustment on the alternator, slide it down a bit, slip off the old belt, slip on the new belt and retigthen the alternator. To do the bushings...remove the alternator.

Comment

Because on the crankshaft hub the alternator belt is the second belt. I don't know how to safely remove the first belt that is in the way.

Comment

Loosen the A/C compressor adjustment bolts at the bottom of the compressor to aid removal of the first belt.
                        m

Comment

There are also two 13mm headed bolts into the top of the a/c compressor that need loosened to get the a/c belt off.
                          Steve
                          Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark View Post
                            Loosen the A/C compressor adjustment bolts at the bottom of the compressor to aid removal of the first belt.
                            m
                            What's the best way to get to these ones? Attack it from the bottom? I can't see anything looking down from above.
                            Motorsport 16v

Comment

Working...
                            X