Just installed today..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed today..............

I am looking at getting the GC setup. Not sure which springrates I should look at getting though. What rates are you running again?

I am thinking of going 400/600, but dont know if I should look at something stiffer, say 450/650, or even 500/700.

I dont mind a rough ride (just not bone jarring, I dont mind the discomfort, I just dont want it to actually be painful :sosad: ), it is not my daily driver, and shit it is an m3. I want it to handle like a gokart.

I live in MN and I would gladly take a ride in a few to compare how they feel. hehe

With the springs and shocks I plan on putting on the GC camber plates. Sparco bar ordered. Bushings I will do soon. Shock mounts done recently. I just ordered a set of BFgoodrich gforce KDs

I dont believe you need 18s and low pro tires for great handling. With 225/50-15 KDs, I believe I will have more grip than you (with the spring/shock combo that is). Perhaps a bit more roll, due to softer sidewalls, but I dont think this will affect grip. I donot know much about this.

Comment

DTM cars were running over 300BHP. They needed the 18s for grip.

Comment

f1 cars use something like 13" wheels. if the tires they used had codes, they would be something like 400/90-13. The profiles of the tires are very high. This is irrelevant though.

I was mainly saying that because the KDs probably have more grip than the tires you run. And I have yet to find out how low profile tires on bigger (heavier) rims have more grip than a combo like I will have. As I said before though, I dont know much about tires yet. Im sure there are people around here that know more than me about this....

Comment

Originally posted by ROB89M3
          ok, then tell me why DTM M3's wear 18" wheels ???? :rolleyes:
          Yeah, sorry but wheel size doesn't make the handling totally-- G-Force KD's are the stickiest dry tires out there bottom line. DTM cars also ran huge brakes so i'm sure brake clearance was an issue, not just tire sidewall. F1 cars have a spec wheel size so that's hard to compare but it just goes to show that a taller sidewall isn't bad. In fact, a super-low profile *street* tire is probably LESS grippy than a 17" simply because the tire doesn't have enough sidewall grip without R-compounds.. that and your rims are heavy.
          Alex McHenry

Comment

I put the GC 300-500 setup in my car. It rides fairly stiff, but not too stiff. If I had it all over to do again, I would go a step up though (Hey springs are only about $50 each, so you can always buy several sets). I do have to say however, the setup kicks ass! I love being able to adjust the ride height in 10 minutes. I also agree, strut brace, control arms, shocks, upper bearings, stiff GC shock mounts etc all help fill in the bigger picture....better grip! Tires will always be a matter of choice. Wheel size however is a little simpler. Looks or performance is usually the trade-off. I've always been told that 16" wheels on our cars work best (any confirmations on that?). I say 17" since its a nice blend of looks and performance. Whatever you do, buy a nice LIGHT set of rims (BBS, SSR etc.). Try to keep your unsprung weight down. It would be a shame to offset those nice light aluminum controls arms with heavy wheels! There is a reason BMW used BBS wheels from the factory.

Comment

ok, then tell me why DTM M3's wear 18" wheels ???? :rolleyes:
              this again? tsk tsk tsk...

Once and for all, DTM cars ran 18" wheels because of brake clearance or because they had to
              use an 18" spec tire for the series.

An M3 with 15" wheels and 225-50-15 BFG KD's would run laps around an M3 with 18s and regular street tires.

wookie, there is no perfect sized wheel for the M3.
              It totally depends on what you are doing with the car, the amount of power you are putting down, your suspension...
              but, FWIW, most JS club racers (w/ stock 2.3s) use 15" wheels and 225/50/15 R-compounds.
              The JP/IP/DM guys go to 16s and 17s because they run big brake kits and slicks.

Bijan, I have GC coilovers with 400/600, and it is plenty stiff.
              I'd say camber plates are the next most important component for a good suspension setup.
              -Han

Comment

Thanks, I wont miss much with 400/600s then? Im looking to upgrade this shit because I need to do my shocks anyways. "wasting" $400 on them now, then upgrading later seems stupid.

I plan on using the KD 15" setup for a while on the street, then if I ever get some nice 16-17"s, I can just put some cheap long lasting tires on them to use for street. KDs used for track.

Did most of you guys go with the GC revalved konis?

Comment

Originally posted by BijanH
                  Thanks, I wont miss much with 400/600s then? Im looking to upgrade this shit because I need to do my shocks anyways. "wasting" $400 on them now, then upgrading later seems stupid.

I plan on using the KD 15" setup for a while on the street, then if I ever get some nice 16-17"s, I can just put some cheap long lasting tires on them to use for street. KDs used for track.

Did most of you guys go with the GC revalved konis?
                  never buy cheap tires under any circumstances if you can afford it. they may be the difference between life or death in an emergency situation. just a thought, not trying to be confrontational. and this applies to everyone in any car.

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Most people use Bilstein. I hear that Koni wears out prematurly (and Bilstein lasts much longer)

I was going to switch to Koni revalved, but decided not to take the "chance"... I stuck with Bilstein.
                    The guys at GC told me that they dont like the Bilsteins because they are not quite ideal for the GC setup. Its been a while since I talked with them, so I dont remember why though. It sounded reasonable at the time though.

Comment

Originally posted by mazenz
                      never buy cheap tires under any circumstances if you can afford it. they may be the difference between life or death in an emergency situation. just a thought, not trying to be confrontational. and this applies to everyone in any car.
                      I didnt really mean cheap. Like some continental $20 tires at fleet farm. Cheaper I guess, than the $200 KDs that wear quickly. MAybe some kumho MXs.

I like to drive aggressively on the street every once in a while. (safe for others, not like a maniac)

Comment

understood. i just felt like venting a point

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Working...
                        X