please help, horn issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help, horn issue

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong. It just doesn't work at all. I have a new horn, and aftermarket steering wheel.

I don't know which wires to check as it is a huge jumble in the engine bay. Could it be a fuse (which one would it be)? How can i check the wiring or fix it?

Sorry for all the questions but people keep coming close to hitting me and the horn is pretty important (obviously). Thanks in advance!!
    1988 BMW M3 Sold
    1991 BMW M5

Did you connect back up the wires in the steering wheel boss correctly?
    Steve
    Scottish Cecotto

Comment

yes, tried every combination too
      1988 BMW M3 Sold
      1991 BMW M5

Comment

Fuse 7 is for the horn, as is relay K2. You should also double check that the sprung copper connector between the steering column and the steering wheel is still intact. This will involve taking the steering wheel off.

When I changed my steering wheel I didn't get the sprung connector in properly and had the opposite problem of the horn sounding at random intervals so I had to pull the fuse before somebody took offence.
        Kevin
        Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

what does that connector look like?

sorry for the helplessness
          1988 BMW M3 Sold
          1991 BMW M5

Comment

When you take the steering wheel off at the "6 o'clock position" there should be a hexagonal plastic holder with a carbon hexagonal part. It has a spring under it to keep it pushed against the contact on the steering wheel as a result these often "spring" out and get lost in the car.

If you have the Bentley manual there is a clear photo of it in fig 7-11 on page 13:42

It is part number 8 in the picture below. BMW P/n 32.33.1.350.750 It fit's into part number 7.

Kevin

Comment

Tripped over a photo which clearly shows it at the very bottom
              Kevin

Comment

thanks a lot kevin!

since I have a momo steering wheel, there are a couple of wires coming up through the hub. does that mean I should remove it and check it out anyway?
                1988 BMW M3 Sold
                1991 BMW M5

Comment

If you touch the two wires together with the ignition switched on the horn should work. If it doesn't then it will be a process of elimination, part of which will be to ensure the carbon contact is in place.

Has it ever worked with that steering wheel?
                  Kevin

Comment

nope it didnt work since i got the car.
                    1988 BMW M3 Sold
                    1991 BMW M5

Comment

Working...
                    X