Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good place to buy a rebuilt tranny? How much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good place to buy a rebuilt tranny? How much?

Trying to find other peoples experiences in shops and quality of work, I am not really concerned with a close ratio box, but just a quality rebuild on a U.S. overdrive box, or anyone know how much it cost to buy one from BMW?

I did some searches online but did not find any good info, bimmerworld has a close ratio race box for 2500, but I dont think I need that as I have a stock motor and stock rear end,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I had mine rebuilt in Sacramento by Shatz and Krum. Cost me $900, but that was for bearings only.

You can call Stewart Krum the owner and tell him Joe Roeschen sent you. He has rebuilt many of these and does a through and professional job. BRW, his shop is the biggest independant BMW shop in town.

Oh, mine was a CR, but he has done many US boxes as well.

Otherwise you can call Jim Blanton at Blanton transmission. He is the man for BMW trannys. You can spend big bucks with him, as he can build you a nasty race tranny.

Search the SIG or perhaps here for the number.
    Last edited by wookie1976; 10-22-2004, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Joe,

What do you mean by race tranny? He changes the gearning internally?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
        Joe,

What do you mean by race tranny? He changes the gearning internally?
        Yes, he can do that plus machined synchros, improved oiling, you name it. He went through a list and had various prices for each level of improvement.

Comment

http://www.metricmechanic.com/
          A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Blanton Transmissions
            1427 West 9th Street
            Kansas City, MO 64101
            816-221-8584

[email protected]
            A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
              http://www.metricmechanic.com/
              I always wonder about them. They seems VERY serious.

Any direct experience with their engines and trannys?

Comment

not "yet"

Comment

metric mechanic seems reasonable as far as price, I wonder what the quality of their work is, looks like I could a rebuilt one for $1995, is that a good price?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X