Help with mechanic in southern california

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with mechanic in southern california

I need advice on a mechanic in southern california (Long Beach). I recently picked up a 1988 M3 and I usually do my own repair work on BMW's but since I am new to this car and the engine is so expensive I would like to have someone to turn to. The car was pretty f_cked when I got it three weeks ago the previous owner for what ever reason spliced and dice the harness and all the electrics were screwed . I put in a new harness where required and eveeything but the OBC works now. After I finally got my 18mm thin walled socket I checked the plugs they look OK but it is running a little rich, but the thing is the compression is 215 180 210 210, so there is a problem with the number 2 cylinder. Could this just be a valve adjustment? I think thats about 15% and the max is supposed to be 10% . Any way I need some help to make sure everything is OK before I have a real problem. The car has 191,000 miles and overall is in good shape . Any help would of course be appreciated, Cheers George
    George

sbibmw.com
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa is also known to be very good. I was recommended by Jordan on this site and on my last visit 1 month ago, I feel that they really know what they are talking about. They also race E30 M3's and are very familiar with all the “Mods” you can think of.

IMO, the true test of a repair shop is the diagnostic portion of any repair. I miss Ron and Scott at VW Specialties in Huntington Beach because they can pin-point the problem within seconds. My last VW was Scirocco 16V, 5 years ago.

Comment

I've gone to Bullet in the past and found them to be among the best in the business.

I've never been to SBI but I've met Adam and he is the real deal. A very good shop as well.

Comment

Hi. I'm in Long Beach, too. There are a few of us around here. South Bay Independent in Gardena is a great place. I've also heard good things about Bullet, too.

Comment

Not going to try and bad mouth other shops but South Bay Independent has always been reasonable on service/price...whatever. They will be upfront with you about your car and really look after fellow enthusiasts unlike most shops in Los Angeles.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Have you tried Evosport? In Hunington Beach. Both owners raced E30m3's.

www.evosport.com

Comment

If it were between bullet and sbi I would choose......... which ever one is closer to you or easier to get to.

Simple as that.

Jordan
                "Never lift"

Comment

I vouch for Percora German Cars. Claudio is Mariano's uncle and he has the sickest e30 m3 racecar I have ever seen!! Ever!! PM me if you want his number.

FYI he is off the bristol exit off the 405.
                  Finnally Powered by my ///M3
                  1990 E30 M3
                  1973 M2

Comment

Originally posted by Hamik
                    I vouch for Percora German Cars. Claudio is Mariano's uncle and he has the sickest e30 m3 racecar I have ever seen!! Ever!! PM me if you want his number.

FYI he is off the bristol exit off the 405.
                    He is right behind Bullet and yes his car is sick. He does a lot of stuff with Bullet.

Jordan
                    "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by bmwcousins
                      Have you tried Evosport? In Hunington Beach. Both owners raced E30m3's.
                      www.evosport.com
                      I have heard bad comments about the Evosport.

However, personally I have yet to deal with them, be it for buying parts or the repair.

Personally, I would stay away from "Repair" shops where their main revenue is from selling parts. A good example of that is the Dealerships. Unless of course, your car is a new model and the service is a warrenty claim.

My 2cent.

Comment

Thanks for all the help I called Bullet before I posted on a local recomendation and he told me I should have an engine rebuild for $11,000-12,000 so that why I was looking for somewhere else . It is ture that may be the case but if it is I will probably sell the car as it would not be worth it to me. I am going to make an appointment at SBI, I got an email from adam and he told me he would check the car over for reasonable fee. I would love nothing better than to keep and drive this car as it is in my top five all time car list but I do not intend to race it , just trying to have some fun. Cheers George
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by verbryck
                          Thanks for all the help
                          ...but if it is I will probably sell the car as it...
                          Hey! Don't you dare utter the "S-word" near the car!

Arrrrrr, the reality of maintaining the E30 M3. A lot of judgments come from "total lack" of communication between what the owner wants and the level of repair the shop expected to do.

Always remember; you asked for an "estimate" and you should be grateful that you didn't hear a number that you are comfortable. There is nothing like “a surprise” with the motor completely out of the car.

Please do a comparison of that $12,000 for a “complete” rebuilt. Isn’t a crate S14 engine from the dealer (if it is still available) is like $10,000? Turner Motorsport “modified” 2.5L motor is $15,000 (plus $300 for the stand. Yup, you MAY need it!). John’s Cylinder Head is like $8000 plus. Of course I am giving you, perhaps, extreme cases.

I doubt any of those (2) shops, Bullet or SBI, re-built the motor in-house even for $12,000. Correct me if I am wrong since I am guessing.

P.S.
                          How much would you pay for a completely original 2.3L engine with 43,000 miles on it? Perhaps, I could sell mine and go “Monster” like Tony’s, John’s and those guys.

This is a "Support Group" at the same time, a VERY bad influences!!!
                          Last edited by ///Mous3; 10-23-2004, 02:11 PM.

Comment

My motor was rebuilt by Bullet for the PO and the bill was 10K 5 years ago. SBI should be less money than Bullet.

Jordan
                            "Never lift"

Comment

We do build our own motors in house. We only sublet the actual machine work.

Bullet has a bit of a reputation for high prices. Who diagnoses an engine needing a $12k rebuild over the phone based just on hearing compression numbers anyway? If your top end is still strong I'll just stick some fresh rod bearing shells and an oil pump in it and it'll run forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X